Birth Records from 1877

  • wharris60
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2011
      I am trying to find information in regards to my grandfather who immigrated from Vistytis to America sometime around 1885 - 1887. He came over by himself and his last name was SCHUKOVSKY, Scherkovsky, Shacufsky or schacofsky. It is spelled something like this. Those 4 spellings I got from his sister's marriage license, and death certificate.
      He went to live with his older sister (name unknown) in Kalamazoo, MI during the above dates, but I cannot find any census information for 1890 for him.

      His mother's name was Esther and I do not know his father's name. His father died sometime between 1876 - 1880 in a war in Poland. My grandfather's first name was Harry. How would I go about trying to locate birth records for this town for the year 1877? His mother was an Orthodox Jew and he attended Synagogue while living in Poland.

      Any help would be much appreciated. I saw your group on Google, but I cannot figure out how to join.

      Sincerely

      Ilene Harris
    • Sandie
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2011
        Ilene:
        There is not a complete U.S. census for 1890. That census burned in a fire in St. Louis.
        Have you been able to locate him in the 1900 census?

      • intrigues01@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 13, 2011
          Hi

          I tried 3 times before with No response.

          I am looking for information on my family. My great Great Grandfather moved to Vistytis from a family estate named filllipa now in poland. His son was born  in Vistytis with 4 brothers and 2 sisters. He married  a lady Anna who was a only child who owned 80 hectords in Pa Vistytis. The family was a titled family who's name is Zlatarinskas. I have been there 3 times and talked to the government and the local priest. They both tell me that either the records wear destroyed during the war or taken by the Russians. But It appears  from reading here that others are able to find information on their family.

          Mark

        • Bill Dukstein
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2011
            Mark

            The Catholic records for Vistytis are not available.  However, if your family was of the Lutheran faith, then those records are available on microfilm through the LDS family history center.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 6 , May 13, 2011

              Ilene

              I do not believe there are any birth records for Jewish residents of Vistytis in the national archives in Vilnius. Bert Oppenheim visited Vistytis in 1995 and wrote a family history for the Oppenheim family of Vistytis. As part of his research he visited with Galina Baranova of the Lithuanian Historical Archive in Vilnius where he found that the only records still in existence are Synagogue Donation books from 1837-1866. There is no indication that they are even complete. When we visited Vistytis in 2005 there was no indication of any additional records. We were told that they were all destroyed during the war.

              Copies of the donation records were published in the "Landsmen" journal of the Suvalki-Lomza interest group for Jewish Genealogy in about 1996. An old address for them is P.O.B. 228,3701 Connecticut Ave.,NW Washington,DC 20008. I have not checked to see if they are now online.

              Another possible source is the historical archives in Grodno Belarus. I believe you can contact them online and can ask them to research their files to see if there are any Synagogue records at their location for Vistytis. "National Historical Archives of Belarus in Grodno" I have not checked with them to see if they have any documents but please advise the group if you are successful.

              Howard Sandys

              Message 6 of 6 , May 13, 2011

                Thank you for your response. What happened to the catholic records?

                Mark