Mauruszat / Maurushat sirname

  • jim
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2010
      Hello,

      I'm a new member here. My wife's grandfather, Edward Mauruszat (anglicized "Maurushat") emigrated from Wystyten to Jersey City, NJ, USA in 1910. His brother Josef had come over a few years earlier. Their father was August Mauruszat. They spoke German, but recalled that they had Russian-speaking neighbors. I read on Wikipedia under the entry for "Prussian Lithuanians" that the "-at" and "-eit" sirname endings are indicative of that ethnicity. I have found only a few instances of the name online: two male cousins of my father-in-law that my wife had not heard of before (sons of Joseph: Ewalt and Joseph, both deceased and apparently without issue); two Canadians: a violin bow-maker and a cattle rancher; an Australian female law professor; and a German photographer. Perhaps there is a Lithuanian version of the name that is still common in the Vistytis area? I know that German speakers were not treated well by the invading Russians, and that thousands of East Prussian refugees died when their evacuation ships were torpedoed by Russian submarines, so perhaps the name is nearly extinct. Any input by group members would be most welcome!

      Jim Mason
    • mal simon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2010
        Hi Jim,  My wife's grandparents emigrated from Poland/Russia/Lithuania in 1910 also to Jersey City.  Their names are Petyr and Josephine Austro but, as you noted, there were other versions of the name such as Austritis, etc.  Diane and I spent a year researching the family and learned that the Petyr (or Peter) was born in Suwalki, Poland but the family moved and spent most of their time in Vystitis (lots of other spellings) in Lithuania.  While in either location, they were under either Polish or Russian control.  We visited Poland and Lithuania a year ago and had no luck in Suwalki as all the records were either lost or sent to Moscow.  In Vistytis we did have luck in locating a great grandson of Petyr.  Unfortunately he has moved and we have not been able to find out where.  We are continuing our research.
        Any ideas?    Peace   Mal and Diane Simon

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2010
          If you post the name and any other information you have on Petyr's great grandson, I'll try to research it for you. I do a lot of genealogic research.

          My great grandfather came over from Vishtytis around 1855, and I can find no record of the Henry Krohn family in any Vishtytis records available online.

          Natalie

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2010
            Natalie

            I saw your last post. I have the same problem trying to locate information on my family. My grandfather came from Pa Vistytis - just outside of the village. I have been there 3 times, but I was told that there are no records at they were destroyed in the war. The family name is Zlatarinskas, his father was born in vistytis. His father came from fillipia but I need to verify what his name is, I think it is walter.His family had a title of baron from the fillipa family given to them in 1731.

            What I need is any information on the Zlatarinskas / Zlotozinsky /Zlotozinskas have found all 3 used in reference to my family. Any help in finding any information would be appreciated. You will probably see some information I have put on web sites.

            Thank you

            Mark Golden / Zlat = Gold

            In a message dated 1/23/2010 7:18:58 A.M. Central Standard Time, natalie14468@... writes:

[...]

          • Greenvale
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2010

              The LDS has the German Lutheran Church records from Vistytis starting in about 1850 through the 1940s.  You can rent the film from your nearest LDS Family Center.  The Catholic Church records from Vistytis were reportedly destroyed, although some may have been transported to Vilnius.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2010
                Nata;ie

                Thank you fro the response. My family went to the catholic church. I knew the former pastor of the catholic church. I used to stay at his house in marianoplia. He would say how honored he was to have the Baron Zlatarinskas. He had heard stories of my family. I have a picture of our original family manor house. Though Part of the family was Prussian aristocracy. I have a post card pointing to the German family estate and the family name. It belonged to my grandfathers grandmother.

                But as you knew, those records are probably destroyed by the Russians. I have founds my grandfathers sister children, but they knew nothing . Because as they were being raised, their parents did not want them to know they were aristocrats. As the Russians would probability have killed them, so some of my other relations were. And one sister was sent to east Prussian after being in a Siberian camp.

                Sorry Jim going on. I just wanted to see if anyone  had records for the families living in Vistytis around 1874, That is the name Walter I need to trace back to the suvolkia family if fillip. He I be live is the one who left that estate and moved to vistytis. his sonm married a only child and they live don her peroperty in Pa Vistychio.

                In a message dated 1/23/2010 7:18:58 A.M. Central Standard Time, natalie14468@ yahoo.com writes:

                If you post the name and any other information you have on Petyr's great grandson, I'll try to research it for you. I do a lot of genealogic research.

                My great grandfather came over from Vistytis around 1855, and I can find no record of the Henry Krohn family in any Vishtytis records available online.

                Natalie

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 25, 2010
                  What I need is any information on the Zlatarinskas / Zlotozinsky
                  /Zlotozinskas have found all 3 used in reference to my family. Any help in finding
                  Cousin Mark, please don't forget the other spellings of:
                  Zlotorzynskie - shown on my Grandfather's naturalization papers
                  Zlotorzynski - this one is noted thruout the U.S. Graves have been found in the Pacific Northwest, Detroit, and, of course, Pennsylvania and Chicago.

                  John