Re: [Vistytis] WAISCHES Search

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2008
      Do you belong to Ancestry.com? I looked up Christopher Waisches born in 1858 and found a Christo Waisches born in 1858 with wife Julia living in Nipissing, Ontario, Canada in the 1901 Canadian census.

      I also found a Christopher Waishes with wife Julia in the 1910 US Census. They were living in Sussex, Delaware. I didn't find a son Charles but did find children John 15, Martha 14, Christina 10, Christopher Jr 8, and ANdrew and Edward, 3. The cenus states they immigrated to the US in 1884. Christopher was born in Germany. He was born in 1858. I think these are both the same Christopher Waisches/Waishes as their children were all born in Canada. Julia was the mother of 12 children with 8 living so perhaps Charles died prior to 1910. Christopher's occupation was a farmer.

      I found a Passenger Manifest for the S.S. Graf Waldersee which sailed from Hamburg, Germany to Philadelphia and arrived on May 15, 1911. There is a Marta Lukoszus born in Medwilu, Russia in 1892. The record mentions a "friend" Christopher Waisches, and I wonder if she was a relative going to live with his family? Her nationality is Lithuanian. Don't forget, the boundaries of Lithuania, Russia, Germany, and Poland changed frequently and what might be Germany today could have been Russia back then.

      I couldn't find any immigration information on a Christopher Waisches, and I wonder if the name was spelled differently in his native country?

      Natalie
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 2008
        I checked further and did find the Christopher Waisches family in the 1901 Canadian census for Nipissing, Ontario (WAY up north!). Charles is included in this census and is 19 years old, so he probably was moved out on his own by the time the 1910 US census was taken. People living in the household in 1901 were:

        Christo  male, head of household, married born 7/15/1838  age 43
        Julia, female, wife, married, born 9/4/1863  age 38
        Charles, m, son, single, born 9/22/1882, age 19
        Mary, f, daughter, single, born 4/11/1886 age 15
        John, m, son, single, born 6/15/1895, age 5
        Johnston, Martha, daughter, single, born 10/26/1897, age 3
        Johnston, Christina, daughter, single, born 2/26/1900, age 1

        This fits with your immigration time line, too, as Charles would have been 2 when they immigrated from Europe in 1884. Please let me know if there is anything more I can do to help!

        Waisches ChristoM HeadMJul 151838
        230 15Waisches JuliaF WifeMSep 4186338
        231 15Waisches CharlesM SonSSep 22188219
        232 15Waisches MaryF DaughterSApr 11188615
        233 15Waisches JohnM SonSJun 1518955
        234 15Johnston MarthaF DaughterSOct 2618973
        235 15Johnston ChristinaF DaughterSFeb 261900

        Natalie

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 27, 2008
          I also found the family in the 1891 Canadian Census, in Nipissing, Ontario. The name is spelled WAISHES. Christo, his wife Julia, and their son Charles were all born in Germany. The family was Lutheran. Their daughter Mary, age 5, was born in the US (this would be about 1886) and their son Albert, age 1, was born in Ontario, Canada. So, the family orginally immigrated to the US about 1884-1885 and then moved to Ontario, Canada, and back to the US. The 1890 US Census is incomplete, but it would be worth checking it to try to see if they lived in the US at that point, although I think they most likely already moved to Canada.

          Natalie

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2008
            Hi Natalie, thanks so much for all of this info...I do belong to Ancestry.com but have hit a wall approx. where you did.  I have my grandfather's (Edward Waishes) birth certificate that says his parents, Christopher and Julia Waisches were both born in "Lithuania" but thats all the info it gives.  I did see the ship manifest of the woman coming over from Medwilu, Russia but haven't been able to find that area.  I was hoping someone on this site might of heard of it...I imagine that my great-granparents came from the same place.  That's actually what I'm trying to find at the moment is where my great-granparents, Christoph(er) and Julia Waisches, were actually from...Germany, Russia, or Lithuania...I have records that indicate each place.  I know they changed over the years so I would like to know what the area is presently.  Thanks soooo much for your help!! I love that everyone is so helpful!!

            xx
            Lisa Waishes

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 29, 2008
              Lisa,
              My mother told me that her father, living in Vistytis, had a brother that had a German speaking girlfriend across the border into Prussia (Germany), and that he would run the border and deliver messages to the girlfriend.  My Grandfather's naturalization papers showed his birth origin was Russia.  Quite common for interchangable names in that era.  He was born in Russia, technically.
              John

              E. J. Buteau
              Illinois
              Daytime = 800-845-5588

              Non omnis moriar!
              Be a donar. You will live on!

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
                I'll try looking for that city! I know how frustrating it can get, looking for ancestors born in Eastern Europe. My great grandfather is from Vistytis according to family records but there are no records there that go back far enough. He came to the US in 1855.

                Natalie