Re: [Vistytis] Re: hi all -- new to the group

  • Sandie
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
      An interesting website with some insight of the history of surnames in
      the area and discussions, etc. that follow of numerous surnames. One
      cannot post to this site anymore but it has been helpful for me.
      http://www.geocities.com/cjzemaitis@.../zemaitis2.htm

    • Amy Elizabeth Burock
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
        Wow! It sounds like your genealogy research quest has been going on for some time! I am completely obsessed with my research too. Thanks so much for sharing the info. I will check out the link. I intend to hire a researcher to look into my Vizga family history. I'll keep this group posted on what I learn.

        Sandie wrote:
> [...]

        >>     Prussia) and Polish. Anna came to the US in 1912.
        >>     ------------ --------- --------- -----
        >>     Amy,
        >>     Sorry I can't answer your search questions, but I've some
        comments on
        >>     your story. My Grandfather Casimer Zlotorzynski came from
        Vištytis
        >>     (Vistytis), and my mother said her father told her that his mother
        >>     spoke German, and his father Polish. I'm sure they also spoke
        >>     Lithuanian. My grandfather told my mother he'd elude the
        border
        >>     guards in order to deliver notes from an older brother to a girl
        in
        >>     Prussia. Your statement above helps me understand how my
        grandfather
        >>     spoke 6 languages, and how he was able to easily meet and marry a
        >>     Polish girl, my grandmother (who had a French surname!).

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:Vistytis-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:Vistytis-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Bernard Cedar
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
          Hello Group:
          As many of you know, there seems to be very little info available for the border area of Lithuania prior to WWII. Much of what was there probably was destroyed due to the heavy fighting that took place in the area during WWII. The Family History Center lists some info from church records. There might be some records in the Vilna archives and in Polish archives in Warsaw and/ or Suwalki, since from the 1860's to the end of WWI   the area which included Vistytis was in the Suwalk Gubernia, but I think that the pickings are slim compared with other parts of Lithuania.
          Bernie
        • intrigues02@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
            In a message dated 9/26/2008 2:14:27 A.M. Central Daylight Time, marana@... writes:
            http://www.geocities.com/cjzemaitis@.../zemaitis2.htm
            thank you for the site.    john betuea is my cousin we get together a few times a year.

            thanks again   mark golden

          • aburock
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
              Hi Bill -- so I have been thinking about the German surname issue -- I found a ship manifest of a man named Brazgel who I think is one of my relatives -- my mom's dad's mom was going to stay with her aunt "Brazgil" according to her ship manifest -- I am starting to wonder if it wasn't a German surname -- she was from Vartele/Varteliai -- we actually went there last summer, swam in the lake, saw the itsy bitsy village, etc. . . -- I am wondering if she was a Lithuanian Prussian or something of the like -- due to the name and the location of her village. In googling the name "Brazgel" I have found some indication that it's a German name. I'd love to hear any thoughts of anyone in the group. Thanks! Amy

              --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, Amy Elizabeth Burock <aburock@...> wrote:

              > Hi there -- all of my Lithuanian relatives who came to the US from Lithuania were VERY Catholic! My great grandfather went to church every day. Vizga was my great grandmother's maiden name. Her mother's maiden name was something like Brazgil or Braskel as far as I can figure out. Thans for your note!

            • DANIEL EDEL
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
                Dear members of the Vistytis Group,I contiue to lloking for my relatives  that lived in Vistytis surnames WARTESLKI AND BELKA.
                They move to  Konigsberg,Esat Prussia,Germany.
                Thank you very much
                Daniel Edel

                ¡Obtén la mejor experiencia en la web!
                Descarga gratis el nuevo Internet Explorer 8
                http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=e1