hi all -- new to the group

  • aburock
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 24, 2008
      My great grandmother, Anna Vizga, was from "Wartele", near Graziski,
      according to her ship manifest. When my mom was a little girl, Anna
      Vizga told her that she was from a part of Lithuania near where people
      spoke German (must be East Prussia) and Polish. Anna came to the US in
      1912. I am 98% sure that she is from Varteliai, near Lake Vistytis. I
      am struggling to find birth, marriage, death records relating to my
      Vizga relatives. I wrote to the Lithuanian State Historical Archives
      and they have nothing on my relatives. Can anyone in the group
      recommend where I might find records regarding my relatives from
      Varteliai? Should I try the Polish archives? Thanks! Amy
    • E. J. Buteau
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
        When my mom was a little girl, Anna Vizga told her that she was from a
        part of Lithuania near where people spoke German (must be East
        Prussia) and Polish. Anna came to the US in 1912.
        -----------------------------------
        Amy,
        Sorry I can't answer your search questions, but I've some comments on
        your story. My Grandfather Casimer Zlotorzynski came from Vištytis
        (Vistytis), and my mother said her father told her that his mother
        spoke German, and his father Polish. I'm sure they also spoke
        Lithuanian. My grandfather told my mother he'd elude the border
        guards in order to deliver notes from an older brother to a girl in
        Prussia. Your statement above helps me understand how my grandfather
        spoke 6 languages, and how he was able to easily meet and marry a
        Polish girl, my grandmother (who had a French surname!).
        Good luck on your searches.
        John
      • Greenvale
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008

          My ancestors were Germans and came from the Graziski area.  The Vistytis and Graziski areas were populated by many Germans and the German Lutheran church records for Vistytis are available from the LDS.  I also visited the Catholic Church in Graziski many years ago, but to my knowledge there were no records available to search.  Do you know the religion of your g-grandmother?  Also, is Vizga her maiden name or married name?

          Bill

          My great grandmother, Anna Vizga, was from "Wartele", near Graziski,
          according to her ship manifest. When my mom was a little girl, Anna
          Vizga told her that she was from a part of Lithuania near where people
          spoke German (must be East Prussia) and Polish. Anna came to the US in
          1912. I am 98% sure that she is from Varteliai, near Lake Vistytis. I
          am struggling to find birth, marriage, death records relating to my
          Vizga relatives. I wrote to the Lithuanian State Historical Archives
          and they have nothing on my relatives. Can anyone in the group
          recommend where I might find records regarding my relatives from
          Varteliai? Should I try the Polish archives? Thanks! Amy

        • Amy Elizabeth Burock
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
            funny you say that -- my mom said that her gram (Anna Vizga) told her that they would go shopping (to the market, I guess) in a place where people spoke German, Polish and Lithuanian. My mother mom said that Anna Vizga spoke some French too! Funny. I am not much of a historian, so I don't know where the French part comes in -- funny to hear that your gram had a French name! Thanks for your note. Amy

            ------------ --------- --------- -----

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
              Hi there -- all of my Lithuanian relatives who came to the US from Lithuania were VERY Catholic! My great grandfather went to church every day. Vizga was my great grandmother's maiden name. Her mother's maiden name was something like Brazgil or Braskel as far as I can figure out. Thans for your note!

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
                My cousin was born in Kovno and came to America in the 1950's. I did not
                meet or know of her until around five years ago.
                She is a walking history book.
                She speaks highly about the Salzburgers who were ethnic Protestant
                Germans who left the Salzburg area around 1732 due to religious reasons.
                One group went to East Prussia, one group to Holland and another group
                to what is now Ebenezer, Georgia, USA.
                She has been going through church records regarding these Salzburgers
                who are our ancestors. Records from the same church are in German,
                Lithuanian or Polish, depending on who was in power at the time. Some
                records are also in Russian. She can read and speak German and is
                actually a teacher of that language. I hired a Polish translater to
                review those records. Another cousin, residing in Vilnius, knows
                Lithuanian and a cousin here in Wisconsin knows Russian.
                She told me the French came in during the era of Napoleon.
                Names changed during all of this. My grandmother was a Heidrich. This
                cousin is a Heidrich but because she was born in 1930's the name was
                changed to the Lithuanian spelling of Geidrichis which is the Russian
                spelling. There is not a H in the Russian alphabet. The addition of the
                is or us is also Russian.
                My grandfather's name was Saborowski or could end with a y, when he came
                to America in 1903. After 25 years of searching for his real name, I
                found out about it this year. It more than likely was Sebrov. In America
                he became a Sabroff (v and f sounding the same). He was an ethnic
                German, spoke and wrote German and always had German and Austrian meals.
                After much searching and writing I was told that the name of Saborow
                without the ski was the most recent spelling before the ski or sky was
                added during the era of the Polish.
                These churches are all located in the area of the Memeland, west and
                South of Kovno, and west of Vilnius, particularly in Virbalen
                (Virballis), Gumbinnen, Marijampole, etc.
                We have located a few baptism records of some German Lutherans in the
                Catholic church. Babies were baptized within a day or two a while back
                and sometimes the only church in the area was a Catholic church, so the
                infant was baptized there, still a Christian church.
                Do a search using the Salzburgers and you will come up with many
                websites about the history and with pictures.
                I cannot state that I am 100 percent accurate on this but hope it will
                also generate some discussion.
                Other surnames we are searching in this area are Hoppe, Selmikat
                (Selminkat), Klaus, Dietrich and more.
                Sandie in Wisconsin USA

                Amy Elizabeth Burock wrote:

                > funny you say that -- my mom said that her gram (Anna Vizga) told her
                > that they would go shopping (to the market, I guess) in a place where
                > people spoke German, Polish and Lithuanian. My mother mom said that
                > Anna Vizga spoke some French too! Funny. I am not much of a historian,
                > so I don't know where the French part comes in -- funny to hear that
                > your gram had a French name! Thanks for your note. Amy

              • Sandie
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
                  An interesting website with some insight of the history of surnames in
                  the area and discussions, etc. that follow of numerous surnames. One
                  cannot post to this site anymore but it has been helpful for me.
                  http://www.geocities.com/cjzemaitis@.../zemaitis2.htm

                • Amy Elizabeth Burock
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
                    Wow! It sounds like your genealogy research quest has been going on for some time! I am completely obsessed with my research too. Thanks so much for sharing the info. I will check out the link. I intend to hire a researcher to look into my Vizga family history. I'll keep this group posted on what I learn.

                    Sandie wrote:
> [...]

                    >>     Prussia) and Polish. Anna came to the US in 1912.
                    >>     ------------ --------- --------- -----
                    >>     Amy,
                    >>     Sorry I can't answer your search questions, but I've some
                    comments on
                    >>     your story. My Grandfather Casimer Zlotorzynski came from
                    Vištytis
                    >>     (Vistytis), and my mother said her father told her that his mother
                    >>     spoke German, and his father Polish. I'm sure they also spoke
                    >>     Lithuanian. My grandfather told my mother he'd elude the
                    border
                    >>     guards in order to deliver notes from an older brother to a girl
                    in
                    >>     Prussia. Your statement above helps me understand how my
                    grandfather
                    >>     spoke 6 languages, and how he was able to easily meet and marry a
                    >>     Polish girl, my grandmother (who had a French surname!).

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        mailto:Vistytis-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        mailto:Vistytis-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Bernard Cedar
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
                      Hello Group:
                      As many of you know, there seems to be very little info available for the border area of Lithuania prior to WWII. Much of what was there probably was destroyed due to the heavy fighting that took place in the area during WWII. The Family History Center lists some info from church records. There might be some records in the Vilna archives and in Polish archives in Warsaw and/ or Suwalki, since from the 1860's to the end of WWI   the area which included Vistytis was in the Suwalk Gubernia, but I think that the pickings are slim compared with other parts of Lithuania.
                      Bernie
                    • intrigues02@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
                        In a message dated 9/26/2008 2:14:27 A.M. Central Daylight Time, marana@... writes:
                        http://www.geocities.com/cjzemaitis@.../zemaitis2.htm
                        thank you for the site.    john betuea is my cousin we get together a few times a year.

                        thanks again   mark golden

                      • aburock
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 5, 2010
                          Hi Bill -- so I have been thinking about the German surname issue -- I found a ship manifest of a man named Brazgel who I think is one of my relatives -- my mom's dad's mom was going to stay with her aunt "Brazgil" according to her ship manifest -- I am starting to wonder if it wasn't a German surname -- she was from Vartele/Varteliai -- we actually went there last summer, swam in the lake, saw the itsy bitsy village, etc. . . -- I am wondering if she was a Lithuanian Prussian or something of the like -- due to the name and the location of her village. In googling the name "Brazgel" I have found some indication that it's a German name. I'd love to hear any thoughts of anyone in the group. Thanks! Amy

                          --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, Amy Elizabeth Burock <aburock@...> wrote:

                          > Hi there -- all of my Lithuanian relatives who came to the US from Lithuania were VERY Catholic! My great grandfather went to church every day. Vizga was my great grandmother's maiden name. Her mother's maiden name was something like Brazgil or Braskel as far as I can figure out. Thans for your note!

                        • DANIEL EDEL
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
                            Dear members of the Vistytis Group,I contiue to lloking for my relatives  that lived in Vistytis surnames WARTESLKI AND BELKA.
                            They move to  Konigsberg,Esat Prussia,Germany.
                            Thank you very much
                            Daniel Edel

                            ¡Obtén la mejor experiencia en la web!
                            Descarga gratis el nuevo Internet Explorer 8
                            http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=e1