Re: Bokzseyzsach

  • spamnchips
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2007
      David,
      That's again for your help. My apologies. The birth certificate does
      not mention Vištytis. That was a reference in a letter from the
      Lithuanian Legate in 1935 which appeared to advise that he would have
      to write to the Polish Consulate for a copy of his birth certificate.
      I do not have a translation but the sentence is " Sekdamas Jūsų
      prašymą. turime garbės pranešti, kad pagal VIŠTYČIO Evangelikų
      Liuternoų parapijos knygas Tamsta esi krikštytas Vižainio Evangelikų
      liuteronų bažnyčioje, kuri dabar yra Lenkijoje." I hope I have all of
      the character accents correct and that they get through the e-mail
      system OK.

      Regards
      John

      > John,
      > Glad I could help. The phrase "urodzil sie w Bokseyszkach (Lituva) dnia
      > ..." means "was born in Boksziski (Lithuania) on the ..." (i.e., after
      > "dnia" = "on the day" follows the date).
      >
      > I'd be interesting in knowing in what connection the certificate
      mentions
      > Vishtinetz (Wisztyniec).
      >
      > David
      >
      > On 9/2/07, spamnchips <jghford@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > David,
      > > It may well be "sz" as the handwriting is not easy to decipher. the
      > > actual words are something like "URODZIL SIE W Bokseyszkach (Lituva)
      > > DNIA" The capitals are mine and represent the pre-printed format.
      > > Your are also correct in that after the baptism date there is a
      > > reference "(w Wizajnach). Thanks very much for your explanation. I
      > > feel sure that I now have the correct birth place for my great
      > > grandfather.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > >
      > > John
      > >

      > > --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com <Vistytis%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "gallienus2000" <gallienus@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > John,
      > > >
      > > > -ach is the Polish plural locative ending, so "w Bokzseyzsach" (are
      > > you sure it isn't
      > > > Bokszeyszach?--the zs orthography would be rather strange in Polish,
      > > but sz is common)
      > > > just means "in Bokszeyszi" with the -i ending being the nominative
      > > plural, the normal
      > > > form of the place name. And Bokszyski is pretty near in sound and
      > > form to Bokszeyszi.
      > > > Similarly, your document probably reads: "w Wizajnach" = "in
      > > Wizajny." These two place
      > > > names have plural endings (i or y), and their locative case ending
      > > in both cases is -ach.
      > > >
      > > > David Langenberg
      > > >
      > > > --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com <Vistytis%40yahoogroups.com>,

      Wizajnach. The