Bokzseyzsach

  • spamnchips
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hi,
      I have a copy of a birth/baptism certificate for my great grandfather
      who was born in Bokzseyzsach in 1872 and baptised in Wizajnach. The
      copy of the certificate was obtained in 1935 from the Polish Consulate
      as Wizajnach was in Polish Territory. I believe Wizajnach is Wizajny
      and the certificate also mentions Vistytis. Does anyone recognise
      Bokzseyzsach and does it have any alternate spelling. I can find
      Bokszyski on a 1935 Polish map and wonder if this is the same place.
      Because of the "rolling" history of this region place names must have
      undergone many transitions. certainly the "sach" and "nach" endings
      sound very Germanic. Any comments would be most useful.

      Regards

      John
    • gallienus2000
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
        John,

        -ach is the Polish plural locative ending, so "w Bokzseyzsach" (are you sure it isn't
        Bokszeyszach?--the zs orthography would be rather strange in Polish, but sz is common)
        just means "in Bokszeyszi" with the -i ending being the nominative plural, the normal
        form of the place name. And Bokszyski is pretty near in sound and form to Bokszeyszi.
        Similarly, your document probably reads: "w Wizajnach" = "in Wizajny." These two place
        names have plural endings (i or y), and their locative case ending in both cases is -ach.

        David Langenberg

        --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "spamnchips" <jghford@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I have a copy of a birth/baptism certificate for my great grandfather
        > who was born in Bokzseyzsach in 1872 and baptised in Wizajnach. The
        > copy of the certificate was obtained in 1935 from the Polish Consulate
        > as Wizajnach was in Polish Territory. I believe Wizajnach is Wizajny
        > and the certificate also mentions Vistytis. Does anyone recognise
        > Bokzseyzsach and does it have any alternate spelling. I can find
        > Bokszyski on a 1935 Polish map and wonder if this is the same place.
        > Because of the "rolling" history of this region place names must have
        > undergone many transitions. certainly the "sach" and "nach" endings
        > sound very Germanic. Any comments would be most useful.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > John

      • spamnchips
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
          David,
          It may well be "sz" as the handwriting is not easy to decipher. the
          actual words are something like "URODZIL SIE W Bokseyszkach (Lituva)
          DNIA" The capitals are mine and represent the pre-printed format.
          Your are also correct in that after the baptism date there is a
          reference "(w Wizajnach). Thanks very much for your explanation. I
          feel sure that I now have the correct birth place for my great
          grandfather.

          Regards

          John

          --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "gallienus2000" <gallienus@...> wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > -ach is the Polish plural locative ending, so "w Bokzseyzsach" (are
          you sure it isn't
          > Bokszeyszach?--the zs orthography would be rather strange in Polish,
          but sz is common)
          > just means "in Bokszeyszi" with the -i ending being the nominative
          plural, the normal
          > form of the place name. And Bokszyski is pretty near in sound and
          form to Bokszeyszi.
          > Similarly, your document probably reads: "w Wizajnach" = "in
          Wizajny." These two place
          > names have plural endings (i or y), and their locative case ending
          in both cases is -ach.

          > David Langenberg
          >
          > --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "spamnchips" <jghford@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > I have a copy of a birth/baptism certificate for my great grandfather
          > > who was born in Bokzseyzsach in 1872 and baptised in Wizajnach. The
          > > copy of the certificate was obtained in 1935 from the Polish Consulate
          > > as Wizajnach was in Polish Territory. I believe Wizajnach is Wizajny
          > > and the certificate also mentions Vistytis. Does anyone recognise
          > > Bokzseyzsach and does it have any alternate spelling. I can find
          > > Bokszyski on a 1935 Polish map and wonder if this is the same place.
          > > Because of the "rolling" history of this region place names must have
          > > undergone many transitions. certainly the "sach" and "nach" endings
          > > sound very Germanic. Any comments would be most useful.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > John

        • David L. Langenberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
            John,

            Glad I could help.  The phrase "urodzil sie w Bokseyszkach (Lituva) dnia ..." means "was born in Boksziski (Lithuania) on the ..." (i.e., after "dnia" = "on the day" follows the date).

            I'd be interesting in knowing in what connection the certificate mentions Vishtinetz (Wisztyniec).

            David

            On 9/2/07, spamnchips <jghford@...> wrote:

            David,
            It may well be "sz" as the handwriting is not easy to decipher. the
            actual words are something like "URODZIL SIE W Bokseyszkach (Lituva)
            DNIA" The capitals are mine and represent the pre-printed format.
            Your are also correct in that after the baptism date there is a
            reference "(w Wizajnach). Thanks very much for your explanation. I
            feel sure that I now have the correct birth place for my great
            grandfather.

            Regards

            John

            --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "gallienus2000" <gallienus@...> wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > -ach is the Polish plural locative ending, so "w Bokzseyzsach" (are
            you sure it isn't
            > Bokszeyszach?--the zs orthography would be rather strange in Polish,
            but sz is common)
            > just means "in Bokszeyszi" with the -i ending being the nominative
            plural, the normal
            > form of the place name. And Bokszyski is pretty near in sound and
            form to Bokszeyszi.
            > Similarly, your document probably reads: "w Wizajnach" = "in
            Wizajny." These two place
            > names have plural endings (i or y), and their locative case ending
            in both cases is -ach.

            > David Langenberg
            >
            > --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "spamnchips" <jghford@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > > I have a copy of a birth/baptism certificate for my great grandfather
            > > who was born in Bokzseyzsach in 1872 and baptised in Wizajnach. The
            > > copy of the certificate was obtained in 1935 from the Polish Consulate
            > > as Wizajnach was in Polish Territory. I believe Wizajnach is Wizajny
            > > and the certificate also mentions Vistytis. Does anyone recognise
            > > Bokzseyzsach and does it have any alternate spelling. I can find
            > > Bokszyski on a 1935 Polish map and wonder if this is the same place.
            > > Because of the "rolling" history of this region place names must have
            > > undergone many transitions. certainly the "sach" and "nach" endings
            > > sound very Germanic. Any comments would be most useful.
            > >
            > > Regards
            > >
            > > John

          • spamnchips
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2007
              David,
              That's again for your help. My apologies. The birth certificate does
              not mention Vištytis. That was a reference in a letter from the
              Lithuanian Legate in 1935 which appeared to advise that he would have
              to write to the Polish Consulate for a copy of his birth certificate.
              I do not have a translation but the sentence is " Sekdamas Jūsų
              prašymą. turime garbės pranešti, kad pagal VIŠTYČIO Evangelikų
              Liuternoų parapijos knygas Tamsta esi krikštytas Vižainio Evangelikų
              liuteronų bažnyčioje, kuri dabar yra Lenkijoje." I hope I have all of
              the character accents correct and that they get through the e-mail
              system OK.

              Regards
              John