looking for more family history

  • futurea99
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
      I am looking for information on my grandfathers family. Especially his
      father stan Zlatarinskas or zlotorinskas or zlotozinski (i have 3 more
      spellings but most show zlatarinskas) he was born in the village of
      visytis. Married a lady who owned land called pa vistycho and had 4
      children. My grandfather Andrew and hs 3 sisters ona, pat, mary.

      Stan had 4 brothers and was loking for his parents name. They had a
      title of Baron. His father came from the family estate of fillpia.how
      cani get birth or death records on my Grandfathers parents?

      Thank you for your help.
    • fred
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2007
        Hi

        I live in Sydney and my mother lived in Vistytis. I know she lived close
        to a lake. She left there during WW2. I think her sister Agnes lived
        there until the 1960s.

        I am travelling to Lithuanian this September and I would like to find
        about about my family, called Krapavickas. Does anyonw know how easy it
        is to find an interpreter, (I do not speak Lithuanian) and how I could
        go about finding where my family lived etc. etc

        Regards

        LillyMOj
      • Marty Parchuck
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2007
              The little I actually know says that it will be difficult to find official records (birts, marriages, deaths, etc) since both world wars ran through Lithuania and destroyed most of them. Don't know about translators but friend who've visited easternn Europe tell me that it's not hard to get by with just English.
              I'm not exactly sure but think that my grandparents may have come from Vistytis before migrating first to London, and later the US. Family name is Brosky here in the US, but was probably Barauskas in Lithuania.
              I'd love to hear what you find there if you can remember my e-mail.
          Marty Parchuck

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2007
            --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "fred" <info@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I live in Sydney and my mother lived in Vistytis. I know she lived close
            > to a lake. She left there during WW2. I think her sister Agnes lived
            > there until the 1960s.
            >
            > I am travelling to Lithuanian this September and I would like to find
            > about about my family, called Krapavickas. Does anyonw know how easy it
            > is to find an interpreter, (I do not speak Lithuanian) and how I could
            > go about finding where my family lived etc. etc
            >

            > Regards
            >
            > LillyMOj

            dear lily!
            I was quite astonished to read that your mother left vistitis during
            WW2 and that her sister lived there till the 60s; I was 3
            time there for some days and never heard of jewish people that could
            emigrate during the war or stay after the war. The only one was
            the"rich" abolocitch who was deprted during the short soviet time
            before the attack of the nazis; he came back after the war; selled his
            house and went to the USA
            I wrote for the yahoo group my notes about the pre-war times and the
            destruction of the jewish community.
            At any case, since I'll teach yiddish in august in warsaw; we intend
            to go back to vistytis in september; there is a camping-place with
            bungalows where we used to stay.
            people in vistitys speak russan; polish and sometimes german.
            sincerely

          • Greenvale
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 29, 2007

              Hi Lilly

              I traveled to Vistytis in the 1990’s and it is a wonderful town.  You should have no trouble locating an English speaking interpreter.  Most schools now teach English and I’m certain lots of people would like to practice with tourists.

              If your ancestors were German you will be able to find the church records for Vistytis in your local LDS Family History Center .  I have located all of my relatives in these records, but the records only go back as far as 1830 or so.

              Bill