Re: [Vistytis] How far is Virbalis from Vistytis

  • Jessica Oswalt
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
      Dear Bill,

      My ancestor was Anton Frommert. I believe he had brothers named Johann, Carl and August and a sister named Christine. I believe he was born about 1875.  I think there was also at least one other brother, but I'm not completely sure. Most of my information comes from passenger list manifests, so everything is tenative at best. John, Carl and Anton moved to Essen, Germany, but I don't know exactly when. August's passenger list manifest from the Hamburg passenger manifests lists his last residence as Kybarti.

      Johann Frommert was born about 1868. Carl was born about 1870. August was born about 1878. Christine was born about 1881 or 1882. The birth years could be off by a couple of years.

      There also appears to be a nephew named Johann as well. His passenger manifest lists his birthplace as Pilikalin (sic), Russia. I think he mentioned that his mother was living in Erdykunt? (I remember it was spelled with an E, and I think it was in the German empire.)

      My great-aunt was told by her mother that Anton was from Wirballen. He listed his birthplace as Lithuania and as Russia in U.S. censuses. (I haven't been able to find definite proof yet. A couple of distant cousins are also researching him, so it is very possible that one of us will find information on his birthplace.)

      I do know that Anton was Lutheran and according to other family members, he was very religious.

      I don't know who his father was or his mother.

      If anyone has information or suggestions, please let me know.

      Thanks,

      Jessica

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
          Dear Doris,

          I'm not too sure if Anton applied for citizenship or was naturalized. The U.S. Censuses from 1910 to 1930 seem to contradict each other. One census said he had started the process and a later census said he was an alien, so I'm not too sure if he became a citizen. I can e-mail one of my distant cousins, and see if she knows whether he applied or not.

          Thanks for the suggestion,

          Jessica

          target=_blank rel=nofollow>greenvale@starpower .net>

          --------- --------- -
          > It's here! Your new message!
          > Get new email alerts
          > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=49938/ *http://tools. search.yahoo. com/toolbar/ features/ mail/>
          > with the free Yahoo! Toolbar.
          > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=49938/ *http://tools. search.yahoo. com/toolbar/ features/ mail/>

          Need Mail bonding?
        • Annette Levy
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
            Hello,
            I am researching the NEUMARK, KLEINSCHMIDT families
            from VYSTITUS. How does one get access to the German
            Lutheran Church records that Bill mentioned?
            Thanks,
            Annette Lewin Levy

            Thanks, Annette