How far is Virbalis from Vistytis

  • jess_history
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      My name is Jessica Oswalt, and I am new member. I was just wondering,
      how far is Virbalis from Vistytis? Has anyone come across the surname
      Frommert in their research?

      Thanks in advance,

      Jessica
    • romitch30
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2007
        Scroll down at http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/lita/lit1614.html where
        the author states "It was difficult and troublesome to reach
        Vishtinetz from the Russian side, although it was only 21 verst away
        from Verzhbalove. Twenty-one verst are about 15 American miles. To
        travel this distance, however, often took the better part of the day
        and sometimes part of the night as well. The road was partly sandy,
        strewn with rocks and, in many places, so muddy that sometimes
        Vishtinetz was cut off from the rest of the worldâ€"no coming, no
        goingâ€"unless you took a long detour through Germany in order to reach
        the station at Verzhbalove."

        Scroll down even more to Virbalis (Verzhbalove). This distance is
        about right, according to other sources that I have seen.

        --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "jess_history" <jess_history@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > My name is Jessica Oswalt, and I am new member. I was just wondering,
        > how far is Virbalis from Vistytis? Has anyone come across the surname
        > Frommert in their research?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Jessica

      • Jessica Oswalt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2007

          -Jessica

          the author states "It was difficult and troublesome to reach
          Vishtinetz from the Russian side, although it was only 21 verst away
          from Verzhbalove. Twenty-one verst are about 15 American miles. To
          travel this distance, however, often took the better part of the day
          and sometimes part of the night as well. The road was partly sandy,
          strewn with rocks and, in many places, so muddy that sometimes
          Vishtinetz was cut off from the rest of the worldâ€"no coming, no
          goingâ€"unless you took a long detour through Germany in order to reach
          the station at Verzhbalove. "

          Scroll down even more to Virbalis (Verzhbalove) . This distance is
          about right, according to other sources that I have seen.

          --- In Vistytis@yahoogroup s.com, "jess_history" <jess_history@ ...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > My name is Jessica Oswalt, and I am new member. I was just wondering,
          > how far is Virbalis from Vistytis? Has anyone come across the surname
          > Frommert in their research?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Jessica

          Never miss an email again!
          Yahoo! Toolbar
        • Greenvale
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007

            Jessica

            Virbalis and Vistytis are relatively close, approximately 10 miles apart.

            I have researched all of the German Lutheran church records of Vistytis and seem to recall coming across the surname FROMMERT.  If you can provide a little bit more information on what you know about your FROMMERT line, perhaps someone in the Vistytis group will be able to guide you in the right direction.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
              Dear Bill,

              My ancestor was Anton Frommert. I believe he had brothers named Johann, Carl and August and a sister named Christine. I believe he was born about 1875.  I think there was also at least one other brother, but I'm not completely sure. Most of my information comes from passenger list manifests, so everything is tenative at best. John, Carl and Anton moved to Essen, Germany, but I don't know exactly when. August's passenger list manifest from the Hamburg passenger manifests lists his last residence as Kybarti.

              Johann Frommert was born about 1868. Carl was born about 1870. August was born about 1878. Christine was born about 1881 or 1882. The birth years could be off by a couple of years.

              There also appears to be a nephew named Johann as well. His passenger manifest lists his birthplace as Pilikalin (sic), Russia. I think he mentioned that his mother was living in Erdykunt? (I remember it was spelled with an E, and I think it was in the German empire.)

              My great-aunt was told by her mother that Anton was from Wirballen. He listed his birthplace as Lithuania and as Russia in U.S. censuses. (I haven't been able to find definite proof yet. A couple of distant cousins are also researching him, so it is very possible that one of us will find information on his birthplace.)

              I do know that Anton was Lutheran and according to other family members, he was very religious.

              I don't know who his father was or his mother.

              If anyone has information or suggestions, please let me know.

              Thanks,

              Jessica

              Virbalis and Vistytis are relatively close, approximately 10 miles apart.

              I have researched all of the German Lutheran church records of Vistytis and seem to recall coming across the surname FROMMERT.  If you can provide a little bit more information on what you know about your FROMMERT line, perhaps someone in the Vistytis group will be able to guide you in the right direction.

              Bill

              My name is Jessica Oswalt, and I am new member. I was just wondering,
              how far is Virbalis from Vistytis? Has anyone come across the surname
              Frommert in their research?

              Thanks in advance,

              Jessica

              It's here! Your new message!
            • Doris Sandys
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Dear Doris,

                  I'm not too sure if Anton applied for citizenship or was naturalized. The U.S. Censuses from 1910 to 1930 seem to contradict each other. One census said he had started the process and a later census said he was an alien, so I'm not too sure if he became a citizen. I can e-mail one of my distant cousins, and see if she knows whether he applied or not.

                  Thanks for the suggestion,

                  Jessica

                  target=_blank rel=nofollow>greenvale@starpower .net>

                  Need Mail bonding?
                • Annette Levy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
                    Hello,
                    I am researching the NEUMARK, KLEINSCHMIDT families
                    from VYSTITUS. How does one get access to the German
                    Lutheran Church records that Bill mentioned?
                    Thanks,
                    Annette Lewin Levy

                    Thanks, Annette