Bert Oppenheim's source of Vistytis synagogue records?

  • howardsandys
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      I have recently returned from a very intersting visit to Vistytis
      (Vishtinetz)and made several inquiries as to where I could find the
      birth/death/marriage,etc. records from the synagogue in Vishtinetz.

      I was helped by several excellant sources, namely Ruta Puisyte of the
      Vilna Goan Jewish State Museum in Vilnius who contacted Mrs. Galina
      Baranova the Chief Geneologist at the State Archives in Vilnius. Mrs.
      Baranova advised that all of the documents were destroyed in the
      fighting in 1944. She felt that there might be information for the
      period starting in 1922 from other sources but I was looking for
      documents from 1860 to about 1890.

      Mrs. Baranova also advised that the Vilnius archives had contacted
      their couterparts in Warsaw some time ago looking for Jewish records
      for Vistinetz and the neighboring areas but were advised that there
      were no records in their archives from Vistinetz.

      However, in 1999, Bert Oppenheim sent me email copies of some
      synagogue records from Vishtinetz from the 1830's to 1860's for the
      family names I was interested in. Does anyone know where he obtained
      those records?
      Howard Sandys