Re: Request for information

  • lwbst
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
      Dear David,

      Thank you so much for your reply and for the information.
      Yes, I did know about the records located at the Family History
      Library and have viewed them. Many of the family are located within
      the records and I was very happy to find the information.

      There is also an index of birth and marriages for the area, also
      available through the Family History Library. However the index
      information implies that there is another source of records. It is
      difficult to view as the microfilm index is on two seperate reels of
      film. One has the left pages of the record books and the other has
      the right pages of the records. The best way to view them is using
      two machines and going one page at a time. It is very easy to get
      lost within each year of information. You may want to try looking
      through these indexes to see if your family may be there.

      Would you know if there are any public records for the area, such as
      birth, death, marriage?

      Lauraly

      --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, " David L. Langenberg"
      <gallienus@e...> wrote:
      > Dear lwbst,
      >
      > You are in luck as far as German Evangelical Lutheran Church from
      Vistytis are concerned. The Family History Library has microfilmed
      some records:

      > Lithuania, Vištytis - Church records
      >
      > Titles
      > Kirchenbuch, 1844-1885 / Evangelical Lutheran Church of Vishtitis
      (Suvalki)
      > Metrical books, 1844-1941 / Evangelical Lutheran Church of
      Vishtitis (Suvalki)

      > You can find this information at their Web site:
      http://www.familysearch.org You can request that these microfilm
      be sent from Salt Lake City to a nearby Family History Center.
      Information is available at FamilySearch.

      > Unfortunately, unless I am mistaken, the Jewish records from
      Vistytis have not been filmed--which are my interest