Family Roots in Vistytis

  • cedarbernard
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2005
      Greetings:
      This is my first message posted to this site. I hope it bears fruit.
      My father, along with his parents and siblings emigrated to the US
      before WWI. His father, Dov Sudarsky, was a watchmaker; his mother,
      Sarah, was also a Sudarsky. My understanding is that her father (my
      ggf) and my gf{her husband)were half-brothers.Sarah and Dov married
      in 1893(?).Dov came to the US in 1909, along with other relatives.
      Sarah followed in 1912 along with her children; Libby, Ethel, Julius
      (my father), Ephriam,and Samuel. They settled in Duluth,MN., and
      lived there for several years. They were back in the NYC area by
      1920. The surname was changed in the US to Cedar. Dov used Bear and
      Bernard as his given name.
      I'm interested in contacting other family members, and others that
      might be familiar with the Sudarsky's. Another branch of the family,
      Sarah's father and her siblings (ten altogether) came from Virbalis.
      Sarah's father imported bristles used for brushes.One of Sarah's
      brothers, Mendel Sudarsky, was an MD with a practice in Kaunas after
      WWI.
      Hope to hear from someone. Maybe I can aid someone in turn.
      Bernie Cedar