Re: [Vistytis] Request for information

  • David L. Langenberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
      Dear lwbst,

      You are in luck as far as German Evangelical Lutheran Church from Vistytis are concerned. The Family History Library has microfilmed some records:

      Lithuania, Vištytis - Church records

      Titles
      Kirchenbuch, 1844-1885 / Evangelical Lutheran Church of Vishtitis (Suvalki)
      Metrical books, 1844-1941 / Evangelical Lutheran Church of Vishtitis (Suvalki)

      You can find this information at their Web site: http://www.familysearch.org You can request that these microfilm be sent from Salt Lake City to a nearby Family History Center. Information is available at FamilySearch.

      Unfortunately, unless I am mistaken, the Jewish records from Vistytis have not been filmed--which are my interest

      David Langenberg
      Newark, DE

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
        Dear David,

        Thank you so much for your reply and for the information.
        Yes, I did know about the records located at the Family History
        Library and have viewed them. Many of the family are located within
        the records and I was very happy to find the information.

        There is also an index of birth and marriages for the area, also
        available through the Family History Library. However the index
        information implies that there is another source of records. It is
        difficult to view as the microfilm index is on two seperate reels of
        film. One has the left pages of the record books and the other has
        the right pages of the records. The best way to view them is using
        two machines and going one page at a time. It is very easy to get
        lost within each year of information. You may want to try looking
        through these indexes to see if your family may be there.

        Would you know if there are any public records for the area, such as
        birth, death, marriage?

        Lauraly

        --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, " David L. Langenberg"