Request for information

  • lwbst
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
      Hello,

      I am researching family who lived in Vistytis during the 1800's. I
      would like to know what types of documents may be located for that
      time period. I am interested in locating any information on the
      family especially birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage, death
      records etc. I know the family belonged to the German Evangelical
      Lutheran Church of the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you.
    • David L. Langenberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
        Dear lwbst,

        You are in luck as far as German Evangelical Lutheran Church from Vistytis are concerned. The Family History Library has microfilmed some records:

        Lithuania, Vištytis - Church records

        Titles
        Kirchenbuch, 1844-1885 / Evangelical Lutheran Church of Vishtitis (Suvalki)
        Metrical books, 1844-1941 / Evangelical Lutheran Church of Vishtitis (Suvalki)

        You can find this information at their Web site: http://www.familysearch.org You can request that these microfilm be sent from Salt Lake City to a nearby Family History Center. Information is available at FamilySearch.

        Unfortunately, unless I am mistaken, the Jewish records from Vistytis have not been filmed--which are my interest

        David Langenberg
        Newark, DE

        I am researching family who lived in Vistytis during the 1800's. I
        would like to know what types of documents may be located for that
        time period. I am interested in locating any information on the
        family especially birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage, death
        records etc. I know the family belonged to the German Evangelical
        Lutheran Church of the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Thank you.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • lwbst
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
          Dear David,

          Thank you so much for your reply and for the information.
          Yes, I did know about the records located at the Family History
          Library and have viewed them. Many of the family are located within
          the records and I was very happy to find the information.

          There is also an index of birth and marriages for the area, also
          available through the Family History Library. However the index
          information implies that there is another source of records. It is
          difficult to view as the microfilm index is on two seperate reels of
          film. One has the left pages of the record books and the other has
          the right pages of the records. The best way to view them is using
          two machines and going one page at a time. It is very easy to get
          lost within each year of information. You may want to try looking
          through these indexes to see if your family may be there.

          Would you know if there are any public records for the area, such as
          birth, death, marriage?

          Lauraly

          --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, " David L. Langenberg"