sterenfeld family

  • nuritreisner
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2005
      Dear Jane Starfield,
      We too are planning to visit Vishtinitz in the summer, and decided to seek information on
      the village where my mother's family lived, before coming to South Africa. My sister and I
      have been living in Israel with our families since 1960. My mother was one of 8 children of
      the Shapiro family -Zussman and Deborah, who settled in Durban.
      My mother was a cousin of the Sterenfelds in Petach Tikva - Rashel, an eye doctor, married
      to Menachem Ratner,Ester was married to a well known Israeli composer, divorced, and married
      an educator by the mame of Zahavi. Ahuva was married to a man called Braude. Miriam was
      widowed from Dr. Guber, and remarried a man by the name of Rabinowitz, one of the founders
      of the Maccabi movement in Russia.
      At various times, both before and after settling in Israel, I spent time with Rashel and
      Ester, and also with Miriam and her husband in Jerusalem. There was also a son by the name
      of Avraham Laizer who lived in the U.S. and came to Israel in his old age. He has a son in
      Israel, whom I have not had contact with.
      My parents were Haim[Hayden} and Eda Hadany from Durban. My father wrote a family diary,and
      he mentions the fact that your family settled in Johannesburg and changed their family name
      to Starfield. So it would seem that we are probably related.
      Have you any idea how the Shapiros are related to the Sterenfelds? Unfortunately both my
      parents are no longer alive, and there is no-one left from their generation.

      Would very much like to get some more information from you- do you ever visit Israel? If
      so, would love to meet.
      Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
      Yours,
      Nurit Reisner.
    • Sherry Landa
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2005
        The STERNFELD/STARFIELDs had other cousins called LANDA(U) from Vishtenitz.
        One LANDAU married a BROUDE...in the 1890s in RSA. I would be interested to
        see if we can find some commonality, but found your message confusing as you
        tell us who everyone married by not the dates to give us a time frame to
        know if these are likely to be related.

        Hope to hear from you soon.
        Sherry Landa

        Ahuva was married to a man called Braude.