Re: Detomischkowski

  • ly2pu
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
      --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, Bob Friedman <inwood@p...> wrote:
      > The JRI-Poland database (http://www2.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/) has 2
      > entries for DOTOMISZKOWSKA and one for DOTOMISZKOWSKI, all from the
      > town of Wizajny, located just a dozen kilometers from Vistytis.

      Just some toponymics and lingvistic data:

      Also a dozen km from Vistytis (and from Vizainis, too :)) are
      located: village Dotamai, lake Dotamai and stream Dotamas.

      A person living in Dotamai in lithuanian language can be called
      "dotamiszkis" (a polish version of spelling), and many polish
      surnames are ending with "-owski". Not sure, but it seems that
      "-ovski" two or more centuries ago could have meaning of "belonging
      to".
      So, surname "Dotamiszkowski" could be interpreted as "a man belonging
      to Dotamiszkis".
      Name of a village Dotamai most probably came from the lake's (or
      river's) name. But that name sounds a bit strange for lithuanian ears
      (no more known occasions in Lithuania), it can be a relict of our
      lithuanian cousins Sudovians (jotvingians) language.
      Also, word "miszkas" (a polish spelling) means "forest" in
      lithuanian, it is frequently used as one syllable of surnames. But
      not in this surname, I think...
      That was just speculations, I have no enough knowledge in
      linguistics, so take it as a little game :))

      Vytas
    • romitch30
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2004
        --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "ly2pu" <ly2pu@y...> wrote:
        > --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, Bob Friedman <inwood@p...> wrote:
        > > The JRI-Poland database (http://www2.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/) has 2
        > > entries for DOTOMISZKOWSKA and one for DOTOMISZKOWSKI, all from
        the
        > > town of Wizajny, located just a dozen kilometers from Vistytis.
        >
        > Just some toponymics and lingvistic data:
        >
        > Also a dozen km from Vistytis (and from Vizainis, too :)) are
        > located: village Dotamai, lake Dotamai and stream Dotamas.
        >
        > A person living in Dotamai in lithuanian language can be called
        > "dotamiszkis" (a polish version of spelling), and many polish
        > surnames are ending with "-owski". Not sure, but it seems that
        > "-ovski" two or more centuries ago could have meaning of "belonging
        > to".
        > So, surname "Dotamiszkowski" could be interpreted as "a man
        belonging
        > to Dotamiszkis".
        > Name of a village Dotamai most probably came from the lake's (or
        > river's) name. But that name sounds a bit strange for lithuanian
        ears
        > (no more known occasions in Lithuania), it can be a relict of our
        > lithuanian cousins Sudovians (jotvingians) language.
        > Also, word "miszkas" (a polish spelling) means "forest" in
        > lithuanian, it is frequently used as one syllable of surnames. But
        > not in this surname, I think...
        > That was just speculations, I have no enough knowledge in
        > linguistics, so take it as a little game :))
        >
        > Vytas

        I have been able to find a reference to the Dotamas stream but not to
        the village or the lake. There are no entries in the Schoenburgs'
        *Lithuanian Jewish Communities,* Dov Levin's *The Litvaks,* The
        JewishGen ShtetlSeeker, or online maps. Is it possible that the
        village had a name in addition to Dotamai or that it had a different
        spelling? Vistytis itself had different names and spellings,
        including Vishtinetz (Yiddish), Vishtitis, Wishtinetz [Russian],
        Wistiten [Prussian], and Wishtiti [Lithuanian], Vistenics, Vichtinets,
        Wistivitz, Wistyniec, Wisztniec, Wysztyniec, Wisztiniec, Wysztyten and
        Wischtiten.

        Any exact reference to the existence of the small village of Dotamai
        would be appreciated.

        Robert E Mitchell
      • Vytas Mickevicius
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2004
          --- romitch30 <romitch30@...> wrote:

          > I have been able to find a reference to the Dotamas
          > stream but not to
          > the village or the lake.
          > JewishGen ShtetlSeeker, or online maps. Is it
          > possible that the
          > village had a name in addition to Dotamai or that it
          > had a different
          > spelling?

          The village is small, and most of online maps are
          really poor, so, take a look here: www.maps.lt

          About different spellings.
          I had found spelling "Detomiszki" in topographic map
          of 1916. It isn't a village-settlement, it has houses
          in the fields spreaded over larger area.
          There are two labels "Dotamai" on the detailed russian
          millitary map of 1984 (it is "secret" :)) at that area
          - to allocate other houses that are at greater
          distance from a first label.
          Village of Dotamai still can be found in a Lithuanian
          1:50000 map published in 2001.

          Best regards,
          Vytas

          > Any exact reference to the existence of the small
          > village of Dotamai
          > would be appreciated.

          Look at www.maps.lt, and navigate as ussualy.

          Good luck,