RE: [Vistytis] Detomischkowski

  • A
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2004

      A very interesting e-mail.  All of my German ancestors came from the Vistytis area and attended the German Lutheran Church in that town.  One of my g-g-grandfather’s sisters married August Mischkus, but he apparently died and she remarried a man named Noiegott (Naujokat).  Members of this Mischkus family immigrated to Pittsburgh, PA where they attended the First St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (German).  They had many children, but most died at a very early age.  The family eventually moved to Cleveland, Ohio and changed their name to Mitchell.

      Probably not related to your family, but interesting just the same.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
        The JRI-Poland database (http://www2.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/) has 2
        entries for DOTOMISZKOWSKA and one for DOTOMISZKOWSKI, all from the
        town of Wizajny, located just a dozen kilometers from Vistytis.

        Bob Friedman, NYC
        inwood@...

        On 30 Aug 2004 14:11:22 -0000, Vistytis@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        >Message: 1
        > Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:56:40 -0000
        > From: "romitch30" <romitch30@...>
        >Subject: Detomischkowski
        >
        >This may be a repeat of a posting that disappeared during composition.
        >
        >Documents from East Prussia and ship manifests report that two of my
        >gf's siblings had the family name *Detomischkowski* and were from
        >*Wistiten* (the German name for Vistytis/Vishtinetz). A Jewish
        >genealogy expert in Vilnius informed me that this does not appear to
        >be a Jewish name. The current Vilnius telephone book does not list
        >anyone with the same general name.
        >
        >My gf arrived in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1878 or 1879 before moving
        >to Detroit. A picture of the great grandparents who did not emigrate
        >suggest from the clothing they wore for a photograph that this was a
        >fairly well-off Orthodox Jewish family. Yet none of the extant lists
        >of family names for Vistytis list Detomischkowski. The ggf suffered
        >some unspecified tragic death -- perhaps during WW I.
        >
        >Other family rembrances suggested that the family name was a variation
        >of Mischkowski. I am not aware that *Deto* or *Deta* are suffixes,
        >although I suppose they could be.
        >
        >I have identified someone with the Detomischkowski name in Belarus,
        >and certainly Jewish merchants and others traveled fairly widely
        >within this part of the pale. For example, the site with Isador
        >Detomischkowski's name includes a list of others who were in East
        >Prussia from 1807 to 1885, see
        >http://www.leiserowitz.de/Juden/vystitis.htm
        >
        >Any thoughts on the name would be appreciated.
        >
        >R E Mitchell
      • ly2pu
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
          --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, Bob Friedman <inwood@p...> wrote:
          > The JRI-Poland database (http://www2.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/) has 2
          > entries for DOTOMISZKOWSKA and one for DOTOMISZKOWSKI, all from the
          > town of Wizajny, located just a dozen kilometers from Vistytis.

          Just some toponymics and lingvistic data:

          Also a dozen km from Vistytis (and from Vizainis, too :)) are
          located: village Dotamai, lake Dotamai and stream Dotamas.

          A person living in Dotamai in lithuanian language can be called
          "dotamiszkis" (a polish version of spelling), and many polish
          surnames are ending with "-owski". Not sure, but it seems that
          "-ovski" two or more centuries ago could have meaning of "belonging
          to".
          So, surname "Dotamiszkowski" could be interpreted as "a man belonging
          to Dotamiszkis".
          Name of a village Dotamai most probably came from the lake's (or
          river's) name. But that name sounds a bit strange for lithuanian ears
          (no more known occasions in Lithuania), it can be a relict of our
          lithuanian cousins Sudovians (jotvingians) language.
          Also, word "miszkas" (a polish spelling) means "forest" in
          lithuanian, it is frequently used as one syllable of surnames. But
          not in this surname, I think...
          That was just speculations, I have no enough knowledge in
          linguistics, so take it as a little game :))

          Vytas
        • romitch30
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26, 2004
            --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "ly2pu" <ly2pu@y...> wrote:
            > --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, Bob Friedman <inwood@p...> wrote:
            > > The JRI-Poland database (http://www2.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/) has 2
            > > entries for DOTOMISZKOWSKA and one for DOTOMISZKOWSKI, all from
            the
            > > town of Wizajny, located just a dozen kilometers from Vistytis.
            >
            > Just some toponymics and lingvistic data:
            >
            > Also a dozen km from Vistytis (and from Vizainis, too :)) are
            > located: village Dotamai, lake Dotamai and stream Dotamas.
            >
            > A person living in Dotamai in lithuanian language can be called
            > "dotamiszkis" (a polish version of spelling), and many polish
            > surnames are ending with "-owski". Not sure, but it seems that
            > "-ovski" two or more centuries ago could have meaning of "belonging
            > to".
            > So, surname "Dotamiszkowski" could be interpreted as "a man
            belonging
            > to Dotamiszkis".
            > Name of a village Dotamai most probably came from the lake's (or
            > river's) name. But that name sounds a bit strange for lithuanian
            ears
            > (no more known occasions in Lithuania), it can be a relict of our
            > lithuanian cousins Sudovians (jotvingians) language.
            > Also, word "miszkas" (a polish spelling) means "forest" in
            > lithuanian, it is frequently used as one syllable of surnames. But
            > not in this surname, I think...
            > That was just speculations, I have no enough knowledge in
            > linguistics, so take it as a little game :))
            >
            > Vytas

            I have been able to find a reference to the Dotamas stream but not to
            the village or the lake. There are no entries in the Schoenburgs'
            *Lithuanian Jewish Communities,* Dov Levin's *The Litvaks,* The
            JewishGen ShtetlSeeker, or online maps. Is it possible that the
            village had a name in addition to Dotamai or that it had a different
            spelling? Vistytis itself had different names and spellings,
            including Vishtinetz (Yiddish), Vishtitis, Wishtinetz [Russian],
            Wistiten [Prussian], and Wishtiti [Lithuanian], Vistenics, Vichtinets,
            Wistivitz, Wistyniec, Wisztniec, Wysztyniec, Wisztiniec, Wysztyten and
            Wischtiten.

            Any exact reference to the existence of the small village of Dotamai
            would be appreciated.

            Robert E Mitchell
          • Vytas Mickevicius
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2004
              --- romitch30 <romitch30@...> wrote:

              > I have been able to find a reference to the Dotamas
              > stream but not to
              > the village or the lake.
              > JewishGen ShtetlSeeker, or online maps. Is it
              > possible that the
              > village had a name in addition to Dotamai or that it
              > had a different
              > spelling?

              The village is small, and most of online maps are
              really poor, so, take a look here: www.maps.lt

              About different spellings.
              I had found spelling "Detomiszki" in topographic map
              of 1916. It isn't a village-settlement, it has houses
              in the fields spreaded over larger area.
              There are two labels "Dotamai" on the detailed russian
              millitary map of 1984 (it is "secret" :)) at that area
              - to allocate other houses that are at greater
              distance from a first label.
              Village of Dotamai still can be found in a Lithuanian
              1:50000 map published in 2001.

              Best regards,
              Vytas

              > Any exact reference to the existence of the small
              > village of Dotamai
              > would be appreciated.

              Look at www.maps.lt, and navigate as ussualy.

              Good luck,