Detomischkowski

  • romitch30
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2004
      This may be a repeat of a posting that disappeared during composition.

      Documents from East Prussia and ship manifests report that two of my
      gf's siblings had the family name *Detomischkowski* and were from
      *Wistiten* (the German name for Vistytis/Vishtinetz). A Jewish
      genealogy expert in Vilnius informed me that this does not appear to
      be a Jewish name. The current Vilnius telephone book does not list
      anyone with the same general name.

      My gf arrived in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1878 or 1879 before moving
      to Detroit. A picture of the great grandparents who did not emigrate
      suggest from the clothing they wore for a photograph that this was a
      fairly well-off Orthodox Jewish family. Yet none of the extant lists
      of family names for Vistytis list Detomischkowski. The ggf suffered
      some unspecified tragic death -- perhaps during WW I.

      Other family rembrances suggested that the family name was a variation
      of Mischkowski. I am not aware that *Deto* or *Deta* are suffixes,
      although I suppose they could be.

      I have identified someone with the Detomischkowski name in Belarus,
      and certainly Jewish merchants and others traveled fairly widely
      within this part of the pale. For example, the site with Isador
      Detomischkowski's name includes a list of others who were in East
      Prussia from 1807 to 1885, see
      http://www.leiserowitz.de/Juden/vystitis.htm

      Any thoughts on the name would be appreciated.

      R E Mitchell
    • A
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2004

        A very interesting e-mail.  All of my German ancestors came from the Vistytis area and attended the German Lutheran Church in that town.  One of my g-g-grandfather’s sisters married August Mischkus, but he apparently died and she remarried a man named Noiegott (Naujokat).  Members of this Mischkus family immigrated to Pittsburgh, PA where they attended the First St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (German).  They had many children, but most died at a very early age.  The family eventually moved to Cleveland, Ohio and changed their name to Mitchell.

        Probably not related to your family, but interesting just the same.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
          The JRI-Poland database (http://www2.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/) has 2
          entries for DOTOMISZKOWSKA and one for DOTOMISZKOWSKI, all from the
          town of Wizajny, located just a dozen kilometers from Vistytis.

          Bob Friedman, NYC
          inwood@...

          On 30 Aug 2004 14:11:22 -0000, Vistytis@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          >Message: 1
          > Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:56:40 -0000
          > From: "romitch30" <romitch30@...>
          >Subject: Detomischkowski
          >
          >This may be a repeat of a posting that disappeared during composition.
          >
          >Documents from East Prussia and ship manifests report that two of my
          >gf's siblings had the family name *Detomischkowski* and were from
          >*Wistiten* (the German name for Vistytis/Vishtinetz). A Jewish
          >genealogy expert in Vilnius informed me that this does not appear to
          >be a Jewish name. The current Vilnius telephone book does not list
          >anyone with the same general name.
          >
          >My gf arrived in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1878 or 1879 before moving
          >to Detroit. A picture of the great grandparents who did not emigrate
          >suggest from the clothing they wore for a photograph that this was a
          >fairly well-off Orthodox Jewish family. Yet none of the extant lists
          >of family names for Vistytis list Detomischkowski. The ggf suffered
          >some unspecified tragic death -- perhaps during WW I.
          >
          >Other family rembrances suggested that the family name was a variation
          >of Mischkowski. I am not aware that *Deto* or *Deta* are suffixes,
          >although I suppose they could be.
          >
          >I have identified someone with the Detomischkowski name in Belarus,
          >and certainly Jewish merchants and others traveled fairly widely
          >within this part of the pale. For example, the site with Isador
          >Detomischkowski's name includes a list of others who were in East
          >Prussia from 1807 to 1885, see
          >http://www.leiserowitz.de/Juden/vystitis.htm
          >
          >Any thoughts on the name would be appreciated.
          >
          >R E Mitchell
        • ly2pu
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
            --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, Bob Friedman <inwood@p...> wrote:
            > The JRI-Poland database (http://www2.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/) has 2
            > entries for DOTOMISZKOWSKA and one for DOTOMISZKOWSKI, all from the
            > town of Wizajny, located just a dozen kilometers from Vistytis.

            Just some toponymics and lingvistic data:

            Also a dozen km from Vistytis (and from Vizainis, too :)) are
            located: village Dotamai, lake Dotamai and stream Dotamas.

            A person living in Dotamai in lithuanian language can be called
            "dotamiszkis" (a polish version of spelling), and many polish
            surnames are ending with "-owski". Not sure, but it seems that
            "-ovski" two or more centuries ago could have meaning of "belonging
            to".
            So, surname "Dotamiszkowski" could be interpreted as "a man belonging
            to Dotamiszkis".
            Name of a village Dotamai most probably came from the lake's (or
            river's) name. But that name sounds a bit strange for lithuanian ears
            (no more known occasions in Lithuania), it can be a relict of our
            lithuanian cousins Sudovians (jotvingians) language.
            Also, word "miszkas" (a polish spelling) means "forest" in
            lithuanian, it is frequently used as one syllable of surnames. But
            not in this surname, I think...
            That was just speculations, I have no enough knowledge in
            linguistics, so take it as a little game :))

            Vytas
          • romitch30
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 26, 2004
              --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "ly2pu" <ly2pu@y...> wrote:
              > --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, Bob Friedman <inwood@p...> wrote:
              > > The JRI-Poland database (http://www2.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/) has 2
              > > entries for DOTOMISZKOWSKA and one for DOTOMISZKOWSKI, all from
              the
              > > town of Wizajny, located just a dozen kilometers from Vistytis.
              >
              > Just some toponymics and lingvistic data:
              >
              > Also a dozen km from Vistytis (and from Vizainis, too :)) are
              > located: village Dotamai, lake Dotamai and stream Dotamas.
              >
              > A person living in Dotamai in lithuanian language can be called
              > "dotamiszkis" (a polish version of spelling), and many polish
              > surnames are ending with "-owski". Not sure, but it seems that
              > "-ovski" two or more centuries ago could have meaning of "belonging
              > to".
              > So, surname "Dotamiszkowski" could be interpreted as "a man
              belonging
              > to Dotamiszkis".
              > Name of a village Dotamai most probably came from the lake's (or
              > river's) name. But that name sounds a bit strange for lithuanian
              ears
              > (no more known occasions in Lithuania), it can be a relict of our
              > lithuanian cousins Sudovians (jotvingians) language.
              > Also, word "miszkas" (a polish spelling) means "forest" in
              > lithuanian, it is frequently used as one syllable of surnames. But
              > not in this surname, I think...
              > That was just speculations, I have no enough knowledge in
              > linguistics, so take it as a little game :))
              >
              > Vytas

              I have been able to find a reference to the Dotamas stream but not to
              the village or the lake. There are no entries in the Schoenburgs'
              *Lithuanian Jewish Communities,* Dov Levin's *The Litvaks,* The
              JewishGen ShtetlSeeker, or online maps. Is it possible that the
              village had a name in addition to Dotamai or that it had a different
              spelling? Vistytis itself had different names and spellings,
              including Vishtinetz (Yiddish), Vishtitis, Wishtinetz [Russian],
              Wistiten [Prussian], and Wishtiti [Lithuanian], Vistenics, Vichtinets,
              Wistivitz, Wistyniec, Wisztniec, Wysztyniec, Wisztiniec, Wysztyten and
              Wischtiten.

              Any exact reference to the existence of the small village of Dotamai
              would be appreciated.

              Robert E Mitchell
            • Vytas Mickevicius
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2004
                --- romitch30 <romitch30@...> wrote:

                > I have been able to find a reference to the Dotamas
                > stream but not to
                > the village or the lake.
                > JewishGen ShtetlSeeker, or online maps. Is it
                > possible that the
                > village had a name in addition to Dotamai or that it
                > had a different
                > spelling?

                The village is small, and most of online maps are
                really poor, so, take a look here: www.maps.lt

                About different spellings.
                I had found spelling "Detomiszki" in topographic map
                of 1916. It isn't a village-settlement, it has houses
                in the fields spreaded over larger area.
                There are two labels "Dotamai" on the detailed russian
                millitary map of 1984 (it is "secret" :)) at that area
                - to allocate other houses that are at greater
                distance from a first label.
                Village of Dotamai still can be found in a Lithuanian
                1:50000 map published in 2001.

                Best regards,
                Vytas

                > Any exact reference to the existence of the small
                > village of Dotamai
                > would be appreciated.

                Look at www.maps.lt, and navigate as ussualy.

                Good luck,