265RE: [Vistytis] Mauruszat / Maurushat sirname

  • Greenvale
    Jan 23, 2010

      The LDS has the German Lutheran Church records from Vistytis starting in about 1850 through the 1940s.  You can rent the film from your nearest LDS Family Center.  The Catholic Church records from Vistytis were reportedly destroyed, although some may have been transported to Vilnius.

      From: Vistytis@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Vistytis@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of intrigues01@...
      Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2010 1:00 PM
      To: Vistytis@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Vistytis] Mauruszat / Maurushat sirname

      Natalie

      I saw your last post. I have the same problem trying to locate information on my family. My grandfather came from Pa Vistytis - just outside of the village. I have been there 3 times, but I was told that there are no records at they were destroyed in the war. The family name is Zlatarinskas, his father was born in vistytis. His father came from fillipia but I need to verify what his name is, I think it is walter.His family had a title of baron from the fillipa family given to them in 1731.

      What I need is any information on the Zlatarinskas / Zlotozinsky /Zlotozinskas have found all 3 used in reference to my family. Any help in finding any information would be appreciated. You will probably see some information I have put on web sites.

      Thank you

      Mark Golden / Zlat = Gold

      In a message dated 1/23/2010 7:18:58 A.M. Central Standard Time, natalie14468@... writes:

      If you post the name and any other information you have on Petyr's great grandson, I'll try to research it for you. I do a lot of genealogic research.

      My great grandfather came over from Vishtytis around 1855, and I can find no record of the Henry Krohn family in any Vishtytis records available online.

      Natalie

      From: jim <woodenoars@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [Vistytis] Mauruszat / Maurushat sirname
      To: Vistytis@yahoogroup s.com
      Date: Monday, January 11, 2010, 1:07 PM

      Hello,

      I'm a new member here. My wife's grandfather, Edward Mauruszat (anglicized "Maurushat") emigrated from Wystyten to Jersey City, NJ, USA in 1910. His brother Josef had come over a few years earlier. Their father was August Mauruszat. They spoke German, but recalled that they had Russian-speaking neighbors. I read on Wikipedia under the entry for "Prussian Lithuanians" that the "-at" and "-eit" sirname endings are indicative of that ethnicity. I have found only a few instances of the name online: two male cousins of my father-in-law that my wife had not heard of before (sons of Joseph: Ewalt and Joseph, both deceased and apparently without issue); two Canadians: a violin bow-maker and a cattle rancher; an Australian female law professor; and a German photographer. Perhaps there is a Lithuanian version of the name that is still common in the Vistytis area? I know that German speakers were not treated well by the invading Russians, and that thousands of East Prussian refugees died when their evacuation ships were torpedoed by Russian submarines, so perhaps the name is nearly extinct. Any input by group members would be most welcome!

      Jim Mason

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic