      From: mal simon <coach7157@...>
      Subject: Re: [Vistytis] Mauruszat / Maurushat sirname
      To: Vistytis@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 1:29 PM

      Hi Jim,  My wife's grandparents emigrated from Poland/Russia/ Lithuania in 1910 also to Jersey City.  Their names are Petyr and Josephine Austro but, as you noted, there were other versions of the name such as Austritis, etc.  Diane and I spent a year researching the family and learned that the Petyr (or Peter) was born in Suwalki, Poland but the family moved and spent most of their time in Vystitis (lots of other spellings) in Lithuania.  While in either location, they were under either Polish or Russian control.  We visited Poland and Lithuania a year ago and had no luck in Suwalki as all the records were either lost or sent to Moscow.  In Vistytis we did have luck in locating a great grandson of Petyr.  Unfortunately he has moved and we have not been able to find out where.  We are continuing our research.
      Any ideas?    Peace   Mal and Diane Simon