261Mauruszat / Maurushat sirname

  • jim
    Jan 11, 2010
      Hello,

      I'm a new member here. My wife's grandfather, Edward Mauruszat (anglicized "Maurushat") emigrated from Wystyten to Jersey City, NJ, USA in 1910. His brother Josef had come over a few years earlier. Their father was August Mauruszat. They spoke German, but recalled that they had Russian-speaking neighbors. I read on Wikipedia under the entry for "Prussian Lithuanians" that the "-at" and "-eit" sirname endings are indicative of that ethnicity. I have found only a few instances of the name online: two male cousins of my father-in-law that my wife had not heard of before (sons of Joseph: Ewalt and Joseph, both deceased and apparently without issue); two Canadians: a violin bow-maker and a cattle rancher; an Australian female law professor; and a German photographer. Perhaps there is a Lithuanian version of the name that is still common in the Vistytis area? I know that German speakers were not treated well by the invading Russians, and that thousands of East Prussian refugees died when their evacuation ships were torpedoed by Russian submarines, so perhaps the name is nearly extinct. Any input by group members would be most welcome!

      Jim Mason
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic