204Re: [Vistytis] Re: hi all -- new to the group

  • Sandie
    Sep 25, 2008
      My cousin was born in Kovno and came to America in the 1950's. I did not
      meet or know of her until around five years ago.
      She is a walking history book.
      She speaks highly about the Salzburgers who were ethnic Protestant
      Germans who left the Salzburg area around 1732 due to religious reasons.
      One group went to East Prussia, one group to Holland and another group
      to what is now Ebenezer, Georgia, USA.
      She has been going through church records regarding these Salzburgers
      who are our ancestors. Records from the same church are in German,
      Lithuanian or Polish, depending on who was in power at the time. Some
      records are also in Russian. She can read and speak German and is
      actually a teacher of that language. I hired a Polish translater to
      review those records. Another cousin, residing in Vilnius, knows
      Lithuanian and a cousin here in Wisconsin knows Russian.
      She told me the French came in during the era of Napoleon.
      Names changed during all of this. My grandmother was a Heidrich. This
      cousin is a Heidrich but because she was born in 1930's the name was
      changed to the Lithuanian spelling of Geidrichis which is the Russian
      spelling. There is not a H in the Russian alphabet. The addition of the
      is or us is also Russian.
      My grandfather's name was Saborowski or could end with a y, when he came
      to America in 1903. After 25 years of searching for his real name, I
      found out about it this year. It more than likely was Sebrov. In America
      he became a Sabroff (v and f sounding the same). He was an ethnic
      German, spoke and wrote German and always had German and Austrian meals.
      After much searching and writing I was told that the name of Saborow
      without the ski was the most recent spelling before the ski or sky was
      added during the era of the Polish.
      These churches are all located in the area of the Memeland, west and
      South of Kovno, and west of Vilnius, particularly in Virbalen
      (Virballis), Gumbinnen, Marijampole, etc.
      We have located a few baptism records of some German Lutherans in the
      Catholic church. Babies were baptized within a day or two a while back
      and sometimes the only church in the area was a Catholic church, so the
      infant was baptized there, still a Christian church.
      Do a search using the Salzburgers and you will come up with many
      websites about the history and with pictures.
      I cannot state that I am 100 percent accurate on this but hope it will
      also generate some discussion.
      Other surnames we are searching in this area are Hoppe, Selmikat
      (Selminkat), Klaus, Dietrich and more.
      Sandie in Wisconsin USA

      Amy Elizabeth Burock wrote:
      > funny you say that -- my mom said that her gram (Anna Vizga) told her
      > that they would go shopping (to the market, I guess) in a place where
      > people spoke German, Polish and Lithuanian. My mother mom said that
      > Anna Vizga spoke some French too! Funny. I am not much of a historian,
      > so I don't know where the French part comes in -- funny to hear that
      > your gram had a French name! Thanks for your note. Amy
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic