Fire at Ft. Yarocki in Connecticut

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 23 , May 21, 2017

      TORRINGTON, CT – A midday fire heavily damaged the unoccupied residence and shop of late Indian expert George Yarocki. Firefighters from the Torrington Fire Department responded quickly to 679 Riverside Ave. and prevented three vintage motorcycles valued at $100,000 from being destroyed. Saved were a 1931 Indian 101 Scout, a 1946 Indian Chief and a 1935 Sunbeam Model 9, being restored by Tim Raindle.  This was the residence Of Milli Yarocki, George’s widow.  She has been temporarily living in nursing home and not in the apartment.

      Here are some articles and pictures about the fire.

      ·       http://ride-ct.com/fire-damages-shop-late-indian-expert/

      ·       http://www.registercitizen.com/article/RC/20170518/NEWS/170519629

      Larry D. Barnes

    • Rob
      Message 2 of 23 , May 22, 2017

        Wow, this is kinda spooky. This is a very similar story to what happened at Chuck Myles house a few years after he died.

        Rob

        Message 3 of 23 , May 22, 2017
          Of course I don't know what caused this fire.
          But fire is my constant worry as my shop machines, my bikes, oils, gasoline containers, are all in a a 19th century wood barn converted to a shop,
          and under a loft full of very dry loose hay left from the 1940's.
          Raccoons romping around rain down dust and hay particles.
          That is so annoying.
          Yesterday I was working in there daytime and four little ones started clambering down the loft ladder by their claws.
          They clambered back up when I approached and asked "what are you doing?!"
          I knew she must have had a litter. Now I know why the rain of dust has increased - her little ones are grown some and running around up there.
          I have to sweep almost daily.

          I took my son's advice:
          (1) Keep all electrical devices and extension cords unplugged when not in use.
          (2) Disconnect all your batteries from the bikes!!! - I don't always do this (he said there are quick battery disconnects I can get).
          (3) Have an ample supply of fire extinguishers nearby in all areas for rapid response.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 23 , May 22, 2017
            One more thing to suggest.
            If your shop/storage area has a heater with pilot flame or electric ignition...(I don't have the luxury of shop heat)
            I visited a collector's shop/storage area and he pointed out his electric heater which was elevated, near the ceiling.
            Because, in case of a tank fuel leak at night in winter, heater ignition will not be at floor level where the fumes collect (being heavier than air).

            I'd welcome any other fire safety suggestions.

              Message 6 of 23 , May 22, 2017

                My cousin owns a restaurant. Pretty ancient building. Updated over the years, but basically a post and beam wood building. He has a security system with cameras. The kitchen caught fire and did a lot of damage. The security camera caught the whole thing. It was one of those perfect storm scenarios.

                Gas line to his stove was improperly installed and it started to leak. There are no pilot lights or other sources of ignition so the gas leak would have been dangerous, but fine as it. It may have been leaking for a while but since the stoves are on all the time, they probably just burned off the gas in the air so nobody could smell it.  But, an electrical box with  a couple of outlets in it, must’ve had been improperly wired or over loaded at some point.  The box is right above where the gas leak is. As the security tape plays, you see a spark erupt out of the outlet on the wall. There is just enough gas for it to catch fire, but not explode. The fire tracks right to the leaking gas line and turns it into a very romantic flickering flame coming out from behind the stove. It sets the wall on fire, the fire creeps up the stud cavity and sets the ceiling on fire behind the suspended ceiling. There are apartments upstairs and one of the tenants smells smoke and calls the FD. Local volunteers show up and every damn one of them eats at the place and drinks at the bar. So, instead of destroying the place with axes and 4 inch lines, they go in, pull down the ceiling, kill the fire with extinguishers and such and pretty much save the place without a whole lot of damage.

                The electrical failure alone would have probably never been noticed. The gas leak would have probably been caught in the morning when they came in to start prep cooking for the day or could have continued to go on unnoticed. But together, they nearly burned the place to the ground.

                Regards,

                Rob

              • McKay Lodge
                Message 7 of 23 , May 22, 2017
                  Hi Richard.

                  My adjacent modern outbuildings are under central station fire and security alarm.

                  The barn/shop? - 1 minute would be too long to wait for the fire department!! So a central station alarm that will bring the pumper here in 20 minutes would not save anything.

                   Hence the precautions that need to be taken. After writing I went out and disconnected three batteries, including today's and tomorrow's ride. Easy to do and I should do it every night.

                  Forgot to mention all wiring is within steel conduit due to risk of rodent gnawing - hence my son's advice to always unplug all extension cords.

                  Bob

                  Sent from Bob's iPhone

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 23, 2017
                        Clear out the hay, half a dozen sacks a week will soon whittle it down, and convert the Racs to hats. You know it makes sense.

                        Derek UK
                      • timraindle
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 23, 2017
                          Fire Update :-
                          The Fire started in Millis apartment. It was being cleaned prior to her returning home from an assisted living facility at the end of the month. The fire marshall is suspecting a fire started by glass or hanging crystals, as the centre of the start of the blaze was taking direct sunlight on a 95 degree day at 1 in the afternoon.
                          There was no fire in the machine shop, the only damage was from water , as thousands of gallons ran thru the floor. My customers bikes were unharmed as the Torrington Fire department covered those in the shop undergoing work with a tarpaulin as soon as they arrived,and the others on site were stored in a different building. The Sunbeam Model 9 did get a chip in the tank paint, but that was going to be resprayed anyway. Millis apartment was totally gutted tho, and she has lost all of her possessions.
                          The power has been disconnected until inspection and the building it passed fit for use, but Jeff Currier, who owns Georges former Machine shop and welding business in the same facility, has given me the use of the old "Assembly Room" free for as long as I need it. After a big clean up and shuffle around I shall be wrenching on Rob Mathias' 31 101 today.
                          I also have full use of Jeffs machine shop, but it may be a few weeks before I can get back to frame repairs. In short, open for business.

                          After a fire in his paint shop some years back, George was always very strict about fire precautions, and any paints, solvents, gasoline, oils were always stored well away from any heat source, and the welding shop is always kept free of combustible material, with fire extinguishers every few feet.

                          cheers,

                                 Tim R

                        • Jeff Alperin
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 23, 2017
                            Surreal!

                            May 23, 2017 at 7:40 AM

[...]

                            Jeff Alperin

                            H: 561-666-7789
                            C: 561-797-9876

                            "My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income." - Errol Flynn

                          • amcadoug
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 23, 2017
                              Shall I copy this for the WOW?

                              Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 23, 2017

                                That’s a great tidbit of info. I’ve seen those crystals hanging in people’s houses and off of rear view mirrors. Never thought about them acting like a lense to concentrate sunlight. That’s one to pass on to all your friends and relatives.

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 23, 2017
                                  “The fire marshall is suspecting a fire started by glass or hanging crystals, as the centre of the start of the blaze was taking direct sunlight on a 95 degree day at 1 in the afternoon. “

                                  Please note, Folks...

                                  Crystals are prisms, and we all know they refract light, dispersing it with reduced energy shining at any point along the spectrum.

                                  To concentrate light, it would have to be convex lens, with its focal point directly upon a combustible. A curtain would be close enough perhaps, but the fire marshall didn’t specify.

                                  ....Cotten

                                • Jim Wilson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 23, 2017
                                     I’ve seen those crystals hanging in people’s houses and off of rear view mirrors. Never thought about them acting like a lense to concentrate sunlight

                                    a guy i worked with had a whole house fire  the smoke destroyed all the antique clothing his wife owned,
                                    the FD thought it was either the crystal hanging in the window or the princess telephone [way back when] power transformer  plugged into the wall  below the same window   that started the fire.     on his way home he had to pull over because the 3rd engine was going up hs rural road

                                    same thoughts about all these new lithium batteries suddenly exploding,    they used in mobile phone or power tools   or the laptop / pad computer you're using right now

                                    --

                                       Best
                                                         Jim

                                    make life a ride ...

                                  • Andy Wander
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 23, 2017

                                      Cotton is correct. I think maybe a round glass vase full of water could act as a lens and possibly start a fire, but I don’t see any way a prism could do it.

                                      Andy Wander

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 23, 2017
                                        Thanks Tom. I wasn't going to get technical but I would worry about a FIRE MARSHALL that would create an urban myth like that. He obviously never burned ants as a kid with a magnifying glass.😊
                                        Dick

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 23, 2017

                                          I put together a summary on what happened and sent it to a bunch of friends and family. I agree that the piece of glass that did it had to be convex. I’ve seen a lot of convex shaped piece of glass combined with cut crystals hanging from various things, including rear view mirrors.

                                          One of the folks I sent it to replied back. He said his grandmother collected glass paperweights and put many of them on her window sills. They came home one day to find about a 1 foot hole burned into the wood floor. Fortunately the fire did not spread. It was a mystery until they called the FD. They looked around and said it was probably one of the paperweights.

                                          The more benign things…

                                          Rob

                                        • Rob
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 23, 2017

                                            I would tend to agree, but I just got another response from a local friend. His daughter’s house has a spot on the front where the vinyl siding has melted. It was a mystery until they started to keep an eye on it. The house across the street is 2 stories and one of the windows reflects the sunlight directly onto that spot at a certain time of day and it is enough to cause the siding to droop. He sent me pictures. Now I’m wondering if they may have something hanging in that window that might act like a big magnifying glass. The one picture he sent did have a distinct pattern when the sun was reflected onto her house.

                                            Rob

                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 23, 2017
                                              Gosh we are pretty far off-topic, but Rob,..

                                              A focus of light on the same side as the source would require a concave surface, and a very slight curve could indeed focus very far away, such as across the street. And the enlarged surface area certainly adds energy.
                                              Yet it would be pretty hard to prove to an insurance company (as is nearly always impossible), since the the focus would move with the sun’s seasonal transit day by day.

                                              Curiously, my neighbor’s vinyl siding incurred sudden heat damage. I smelled tobacco smoke in my basement, and ran out to find her dousing the siding, and a fuming coffee can of cigarette butts beside it.

                                              Just a little common sense can go a long ways...

                                              ....Cotten

                                              From: VirtualIndian@yahoogroups.com [mailto:VirtualIndian@yahoogroups.com]

                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 23, 2017

                                              Yes, I agree that it would have to be concave to focus the light. I type faster than I think sometimes.

                                              The area that has melted is not a point, but rather a larger area of lines of melted siding which would correspond to the sun’s path across the sky.

                                              Here is the actual photo. You can see the marks in the siding where it melted on different days and can also see a very focused center point of light. The pattern of the light tells me it is not just the window at play here. There may be a stained glass window attached to the glass with suction cups. My wife has done that. If it has a large center medallion of the correct shape…

                                              Attached is the picture.

                                              Notice that melted areas are at an angle and looks like it follows the sun’s path as it changes a bit each day, accounting for the various paths.

                                              I told him to go knock on the neighbor’s door and see if there is something in that window.

                                              Along the same lines, my neighbor at the lake was doing some remodeling and put a new window up against his garage for about a week. When he took it away to install it, the siding had melted under the window. Saw it with my own eyes.

                                              Rob

                                            • C
                                              Message 23 of 23 , May 23, 2017
                                                Always discouraged my customers from using vinyl siding. Melting vinyl siding isn't new, but is becoming more common, especially in new housing developments, with houses closer together on smaller lots. Thermal distortion is caused by the reflection of the suns rays, usually off of south, southwest facing windows.The sun bouncing off conventional clear glass can melt vinyl siding. Most new windows are glazed to be low-e (energy efficient). The sun bouncing off a low-e window has higher solar reflectance, increasing the heat. The more energy efficient rating, the more glaze.

                                                Winter and summer, the energy that isn't getting in the house, is being reflected and increases the risk of melting siding or possibly starting a fire, depending on what it is hitting. Dark-colored vinyl siding, if installed in a location where it receives reflected light from a window, can reach 219°F. Vinyl siding has a melting point of about 160 - 165 degrees. The reflecting sun can also damage composite decking and Tyvek (house wrap) before the siding is put on, garbage cans, even plastic rear-view mirrors in a car..

                                                Surprise, window manufacturers say it's not a window issue and vinyl siding manufactures say it's not a siding issue and have changed the warranty. Warranty does not cover … warping or distortion due to exposure to excessive heat sources (e.g., barbecue grills) or exposure to unusual or excessive reflective heat sources (e.g., window reflection).

                                                Sunlight reflecting off the windows at a new high-rise hotel in Las Vegas not only melted plastic garbage bags, it reportedly burned  hotel guests sunbathing beside the hotel pool.

                                                The US Consumer Product Safety Commission issued an alert that states, “Sunlight reflecting off of certain sunroom roof glass and skylights onto adjacent cedar shingles or cedar shakes could pose a fire hazard. A manufacturer of sunrooms is aware of four fires that could be attributed to this scenario. This is why I didn't build the sunroom 10 years ago on the back deck at my house that gets the sun from about 10 am until it drops behind the trees around 6 pm.

                                                Had a '36 Indian park next to my "other" bike this weekend. Owned by Sandy, but she was letting her husband ride it that day. She rode her "other" bike, too.

                                                just a girl
                                                Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans.