Re: [Virtual Indian] Vintage parts from india

  • Terry Duffy
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 25, 2013
      Hi Rob
       Quality control that's the 64 thousand dollar question! If you stop and think about aluminum tanks on a Indian with the vibration the bikes have even the original steel tanks can have both leaks and mount tab problems from time to time. Small recourse if leaks develop. They also produce a Enfield copies which more often than not require going through the motor/power train assembly before fire up but they look nice, I would steer clear of those tanks.
      Terry

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013

        I bought a tank for my Ariel Square Four : I could not fit the tank to the bike !

        It looks great but it is not the real thing : be very, very careful.

        Larry

        Paris, France

        ---In virtualindian@yahoogroups.com, <michigander1951@...> wrote:

[...]

      • ROBERT SIGOND
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013

          Oh, you wanted the tank to fit. Well that’s an entirely different requirement.

          I can see that there is just no pleasing you.

          Rob Sigond

          518-860-2528 Cell

          Hi just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with this ebay seller

          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDIAN-CHIEF-SCOUT-ALUMINUM-ALLOY-GAS-FUEL-PETROL-OIL-TANK-SET-W-O-METER-CUT-/261161518842?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cce7086fa

          shur seems to have a nice selection of vintage obsolete parts..shure would be cool to see where he is getting this stuff made . seems like he is employing some very talented tin bashers and welders.always liked how the third world countrys can build things with minimal tools.Den

        • oakhouse2001

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 27, 2013

              I don’t think there is a big enough market for anyone to make a plunge into something like that. In talking to Mr. Fickau, he makes things for vendors in small batches. I think that is the way most of them do it.

              You have to wonder what the future market for these parts will be. One could say that the majority of bikes have been found and restored. So they won’t need any major parts. Those remaining bikes are so expensive to restore now, that only a small portion of the interest group can afford to do it. The original bikes will stay original, so again, no market for major parts.

              Then what happens when all the guys with gray hair that love these old bikes die off? Will the next generation suddenly fall in love with these bikes? My guess is a portion of them will. But much like the Model T market, most of those who had an interest are dead now and it is nearly impossible to sell a Model T today.

              Makes you wonder if at some point the bottom will fall out of the market and our bikes will be worth 10 cents on the dollar. It could generate a resurgence in the interest because they would become affordable again. Or it could mean that most get bought up by people with money overseas, never to return to the US.

              I’ve heard people compare owning old Indians and other classics to owning land. The comment is they are not making any more land. But the difference is, people need land. They don’t need old Indians.

              Regards,

              Rob

              Hi just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with this ebay seller

              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDIAN-CHIEF-SCOUT-ALUMINUM-ALLOY-GAS-FUEL-PETROL-OIL-TANK-SET-W-O-METER-CUT-/261161518842?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cce7086fa

              shur seems to have a nice selection of vintage obsolete parts..shure would be cool to see where he is getting this stuff made . seems like he is employing some very talented tin bashers and welders.always liked how the third world countrys can build things with minimal tools.Den

            • ace4rider

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 27, 2013

                  I certainly hope it doesn’t as well. I used to be into cars, but found them to be a PITA, not to mention taking up gobs of room and deteriorating while they sit there. I sold a ’61 Vette to a friend and found out a few weeks ago he sold it because he did not use it enough and it was deteriorating in his garage. Unless you can afford a climate controlled building/room for your cars, they are tough to keep nice.

                  Rob Sigond

                  518-860-2528 Cell

                  Hi just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with this ebay seller

                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDIAN-CHIEF-SCOUT-ALUMINUM-ALLOY-GAS-FUEL-PETROL-OIL-TANK-SET-W-O-METER-CUT-/261161518842?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cce7086fa

                  shur seems to have a nice selection of vintage obsolete parts..shure would be cool to see where he is getting this stuff made . seems like he is employing some very talented tin bashers and welders.always liked how the third world countrys can build things with minimal tools.Den

                • John Welch
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 28, 2013
                       I have some cylinder sets from India and while quality control, mainly with thread fits, had some issues, the overall product was good for the price. I haven't seen gas tanks but wonder why they might even be considered when Blakes tanks are comparably priced and by most accounts have excellent revues?
                      And, while I agree that Model T prices fell, mainly because the mass population of the Model T heyday that later coveted them for nostalgic reasons have mostly passed on, I do disagree with that being the sole reason for their decline in demand. If that was the reason, it would be logical to assume that Dusenburgs, Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc. also declined in value and demand but recent auctions disprove that theory. My guess is that the Model T's fell from grace due to their wide availability and their design having few innovative qualities, especially the gas tank that was located in the drivers lap! I suspect that Indians and Harleys will both eventually face the same future and for the same reasons with the possible exception of the Indian Fours and the early Harley Knuckleheads.
                      It's my opinion & I'm sticking with it, John

[...]

                  • j w
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 28, 2013
                      Rob wrote:

                      >Then what happens when all the guys with gray hair that love these old
                      bikes die off?
                      >Will the next generation suddenly fall in love with these bikes? My
                      guess is a portion of them will.

                      My 11 year old daughter has been eyeing my '45 Chief for a long time,
                      and has made it clear that
                      when I'm too old to ride it, it's hers. So I'd say yes, the next
                      generations will pick up where we leave
                      it.

                      >But much like the Model T market, most of those who had an interest
                      are dead now and it is nearly
                      >impossible to sell a Model T today.

                      But how hard is it to sell a 1955 Chevy? I think you have to be a little
                      careful as to "which" Indian
                      you compare to a Model T. For example, I rode my Chief to work yesterday
                      in California freeway traffic.
                      It's just as rideable as any other motorcycle on the road, splits lanes
                      just fine, it just doesn't stop as
                      quickly. :-) I'd compare it more to a 55 Chevy than a Model T.

                      Model Ts really are relics, and don't belong in traffic. They're not
                      good for much but to sit in a
                      garage or museum, and taken out on the road with a bunch of other Model
                      Ts in a parade on
                      Henry Ford Day. The really early Indians maybe compare closer to that
                      than the late ones.

                      -JW
                    • rocheux
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 28, 2013

                        Rob, with all due respect, the question of how much you pay vs. what you receive is not always solved by paying more for something. The most expensive guy is not necessarily the best. However, I would stand with you on your stance, that it's certainly not worth the risk to buy those tanks in question. I sure as hell would not buy them either.

                        This past week I almost paid $3000 for a new lawn drip system where the guy was going to use Toro blue stripe, a very flexible main line hose that I now have (that which I am replacing) and after 8 years it's springing leaks all over my property. It's junk!

                        Another bidder proposed schedule 40 pipe, which is so tough you can stand on it, and his bid also included manifolds every 15 feet and he only wants $2700. So let's not say the most expensive is the way to go, with all due respect.

                        Similarly, I once read an article of some wine conaisseurs judging wines, and among those they chose as the best, one was a very inexpensive wine. My own example would be "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw wine at Trader Joe's).

                        Finally, I sold Toshiba, Panasonic, and ITT business telephone systems for 22 years in the Washington, DC area for 1/3rd less than the price of AT&T systems and after the first year I never had to advertise. 'nuff said.

                        Thank you.

                        Rocky in Arizona

                        ---In virtualindian@yahoogroups.com, <ratbikejohn@...> wrote:

                        Rob wrote:

                        >Then what happens when all the guys with gray hair that love these old
                        bikes die off?
                        >Will the next generation suddenly fall in love with these bikes? My
                        guess is a portion of them will.

                        My 11 year old daughter has been eyeing my '45 Chief for a long time,
                        and has made it clear that
                        when I'm too old to ride it, it's hers. So I'd say yes, the next
                        generations will pick up where we leave
                        it.

                        >But much like the Model T market, most of those who had an interest
                        are dead now and it is nearly
                        >impossible to sell a Model T today.

                        But how hard is it to sell a 1955 Chevy? I think you have to be a little
                        careful as to "which" Indian
                        you compare to a Model T. For example, I rode my Chief to work yesterday
                        in California freeway traffic.
                        It's just as rideable as any other motorcycle on the road, splits lanes
                        just fine, it just doesn't stop as
                        quickly. :-) I'd compare it more to a 55 Chevy than a Model T.

                        Model Ts really are relics, and don't belong in traffic. They're not
                        good for much but to sit in a
                        garage or museum, and taken out on the road with a bunch of other Model
                        Ts in a parade on
                        Henry Ford Day. The really early Indians maybe compare closer to that
                        than the late ones.

                        -JW
                      • RohanB
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 29, 2013
                        • fred johansen
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 29, 2013
                            the sellers BS.  A real factory racing frame of this era (which is actually hard to prove) would have thicker rear axle plates.  But they were pretty rare.
                               My self, I am not really into racers, but the road going version, so as to be used more readily.
                                Although, I am just home from the Santa Rosa Mile races, which got rained out at the Main event.
                                buyer beware, RF.
                          • supercycles2003
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 30, 2013
                              big loop  reproductions available just cough up the bucks
                              supercyc1@...
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 30, 2013

                                I think you have me mixed up with another Rob here or perhaps somebody else. I’ve never believed that paying more guarantees you anything other than more space in your wallet.

                                Rob Sigond

                                518-860-2528 Cell

                                Rob wrote:

                                >Then what happens when all the guys with gray hair that love these old

                                bikes die off?

                                >Will the next generation suddenly fall in love with these bikes? My

                                guess is a portion of them will.

                                My 11 year old daughter has been eyeing my '45 Chief for a long time,
                                and has made it clear that
                                when I'm too old to ride it, it's hers. So I'd say yes, the next
                                generations will pick up where we leave
                                it.

                                >But much like the Model T market, most of those who had an interest

                                are dead now and it is nearly

                                >impossible to sell a Model T today.

                                But how hard is it to sell a 1955 Chevy? I think you have to be a little
                                careful as to "which" Indian
                                you compare to a Model T. For example, I rode my Chief to work yesterday
                                in California freeway traffic.
                                It's just as rideable as any other motorcycle on the road, splits lanes
                                just fine, it just doesn't stop as
                                quickly. :-) I'd compare it more to a 55 Chevy than a Model T.

                                Model Ts really are relics, and don't belong in traffic. They're not
                                good for much but to sit in a
                                garage or museum, and taken out on the road with a bunch of other Model
                                Ts in a parade on
                                Henry Ford Day. The really early Indians maybe compare closer to that
                                than the late ones.

                                -JW

                              • Larry
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 30, 2013

                                  Hey Rob.  I think we’ve got enough land.  We need more Indians!

                                  Larry

                                  “I’ve heard people compare owning old Indians and other classics to owning land. The comment is they are not making any more land. But the difference is, people need land. They don’t need old Indians.”

                                  Hi just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with this ebay seller

                                  shur seems to have a nice selection of vintage obsolete parts..shure would be cool to see where he is getting this stuff made . seems like he is employing some very talented tin bashers and welders.always liked how the third world countrys can build things with minimal tools.Den

                                  No virus found in this message.