Re: [Virtual Indian] Front lead spring on 40 (and other) Four

  • Andrés Cervieri
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 28, 2013
      Hi Michael
      Glup...!! I disasembled, polish, change one, and base painted the individual leafs of my Four. Should I take off the base paint between leaves before assembling? Isn.t the paint works as a kind of lubricant ?...Andres
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
        It depends how thick the coating is. One thin coating maybe work. But the paint isn't much as a rust inhibitor or lubricant and the problem is when the paint wears off and then the pack of springs might become loose, looser than assembled without paint. The springs needs to be riveted tight to avoid sliding. There's a tool, sometimes on the ebay, looks like a C-clamp where short wedges is forced between the spring leaves in order to be able to put in grease there. An oil gaiter is very good to use for continous lubrication and smooth spring action.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
          Carl-Erik
          Well.... I will take off the paint... Just I read in VI that someone was going to powder coating each leave before assembling and don.t see anybody said anything about that isn.t wright.
          About riveting I will do as old fashion with C clamps and red hot rivet,  and grease like the Indian manual said, opening between leaves with a screwdriver and put in the lubricant with a knife. Andrés