Borrowers

  • MalikTous
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25 1:15 PM
      We had a group attendance at Bowtie Cinema (the old train shed and tobacco warehouse by Boulevard just north of Broad) to see 'The Secret World of Arietty' on Saturday. From my perspective, having both read Morton's books and being of a culture with a rich connection to the 'Little People', seeing Ghibli's effort with the story was a great experience. The good and bad of contact between the Borrowers and the 'Beans' (human-beings) is well represented as is the importance of 'never taking anything that could be seriously noticed and missed'.
      It's definitely worth a viewing or getting the DVD when it is released, but so is reading Morton's books. Ghibli flavours it with a 'Spiritted Away' style that can be a turn-on to Miyazaki fans.

      In a couple of weeks, they're releasing a live-acted Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom movie, hope we can think about that. ERB, writer of Tarzan, Pellucidar/Inner Earth, and Barsoom/Mars novels, is one of our best classic authors. I'll be comparing the 'John Carter of Mars' experience with old Johnny Weismuller Tarzan series...