RE: [ViolaDaGamba] Re: Cheap (but good) Viols?

  • Newton, Peter
    Message 1 of 13 , May 4, 2006
      All the frets being equal size is not only a bit strange, but completely and easily alterable without buying a new viol.

      I acquired a 7 string bass viol from Charlie Ogle a couple of months ago and like it very much. Because I am in eastern Canada, exercising the two week free trial option Charlie offers was not possible, but I have no regrets. Charlie was a model of helpfulness and patience in dealing with me. There are a couple of minor points about the action that I will probably try to have adjusted by my local (expensive) viol maker. I have no reason to think that if I was within easy reach of Charlie he would not have dealt with these himself. They may be as much a matter of personal taste, and the bow I use, as anything. Of course, I am still playing in the instrument, too.

      I considered a Gillespie (Lu-Mi) viol and decided against it for several reasons, although they have an extremely high reputation (I didn't have a chance to see either Ogle or Gillespie viols in person, it should be noted). They come in two grades (and offer the option of a carved head), while Charlie's come in just one, plain, with no carved head option. These could be worthwhile choices to have in themselves, but even the plain Gillespie model costs several hundred dollars more than the Ogle (but comes with a hard case, it should be noted). Also, there would have been a wait for a Lu-Mi viol, it appeared, and I needed an instrument immediately.

      I did e-mail Bill Lazar when first looking around, inquiring about availability, shipping to Canada, etc., but got no reply as far as I can see.

      Peter Newton

      Message 2 of 13 , May 4, 2006
        I don't know Gillespie... Does he have a site?

        Diego Stocco.

      • Jonathan Dunford
        Message 3 of 13 , May 4, 2006
          Here :
          http://dizzygillespie.org/

          --- In ViolaDaGamba@yahoogroups.com, "Diego Fabian Stocco"
          <fabianstocco@...> wrote:

          > I don't know Gillespie... Does he have a site?
          >
          > Diego Stocco.

        • Jonathan Dunford
          Message 4 of 13 , May 4, 2006
            (sorry I couldn't resist).

            <fabianstocco@...> wrote:

            > I don't know Gillespie... Does he have a site?
            >
            > Diego Stocco.

          • Bob Christiansen
            Message 5 of 13 , May 4, 2006
              Yes, but "he" is a she: Wendy Gillespie who plays with Fretwork. Her viols may be seen on Bill Lazar's website:

              www.LazarsEarlyMusic.com

              Diego Fabian Stocco <fabianstocco@...> wrote:
              I don't know Gillespie... Does he have a site?

              Diego Stocco.

              your settings, visit this group on the web
              (see below) or send a blank email to:
              ViolaDaGamba-digest@yahoogroups.com

              Classical music Viola da gamba

              ---------------------------------

              Message 6 of 13 , May 4, 2006
                In a message dated 5/4/2006 7:39:36 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                ghirondero@... writes:

                Yes, but "he" is a she: Wendy Gillespie who plays with Fretwork. Her
                viols may be seen on Bill Lazar's website:

                www.LazarsEarlyMusic.com

                Diego Fabian Stocco <fabianstocco@...> wrote:
                I don't know Gillespie... Does he have a site?

                Diego Stocco.

                Or www.wendysviols.com

                Bill Lazar
                www.LazarsEarlyMusic.com

              • jblazar@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4, 2006
                  I've checked my received mail and can't find any from you, Peter. Sorry
                  that I missed hearing from you.

                  I do stock both the Ogle and Wendy viols. I have over 3 dozen in stock at
                  this time, with more expected this month.

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2006
                    Thanks and sorry we didn't connect, we don't always know realize, I think, that a certain number of e-mails simply never reach their destination. Since Wendy Gillespie was still representing her own viols then, I communicated with her about them and with Charlie about his.

                    Peter Newton

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 7, 2006
                      In a message dated 5/4/2006 4:06:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      peterne@... writes:

                      Thanks and sorry we didn't connect, we don't always know realize, I think,
                      that a certain number of e-mails simply never reach their destination. Since
                      Wendy Gillespie was still representing her own viols then, I communicated
                      with her about them and with Charlie about his.

                      Peter Newton

                      I'm glad you found a viol you're happy with.

                      Best regards,

                      Bill