Easy Money 1st Edition had two different releases!

  • themgholcombe
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1

      All,

      I just posted another Easy Money album showing a game I received today.

      I think it is clear that there were at least two releases of the initial double trade mark game.

      See the new album.

      Differences between the 1st & 2nd are:
      • Red box vs Black box;
      • Red board back vs Black board back;
      • More vibrant & different coloring on the boards;
      • Cube houses versus gabled roof houses; and
      • Only 4 players as evidenced by four tokens and four sets of colored houses.
      Please look at the new Easy Money albums and let me know what you think.

      Malcolm
    • Chris Williamson
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 3
        The very first game had only the words "Trade Mark" and had property cards, which later games did not have. The games with the round tracks came first. The "Patent Applied For" game was next, the games with the Patent numbers were last. You are right that they may have had several runs within each game type. There was a licensing agreement that Milton Bradley and Parker Brothers in an attempt to bolster Parker's Monopoly Patents (notice the two Patent numbers are Parker's Monopoly Patent numbers.) Milton Bradley knew Parker's Patents were bogus because they were already producing "Carnival" which was based on Elizabeth Magie Phillips' expired 1904 Patent. By the time Easy Money was produced, Parker owned both the 1924 Magie Phillips Patent and the fraudulently obtained 1935 Darrow Patent. Darrow almost certainly stole the Magie game boards submitted as evidence for her Patents. He checked them out of the US Patent Office Library and did not return them. When the Patent search was done for his Parker sponsored Application the samples were missing. His Patent was given a 'personal walk through' and approval of the Patent process on New Years Eve 1935.

        Sent from my iPad
      • Chris Williamson
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 3
          It might be a good idea to post photos of the cards and instructions (there were instructions, I used to have them...) of the first game with property cards. I think the Community Chest card idea (the one of the two main contribution of Louis and Ferdinand Thun to Monopoly, the other being apartments/hotels) was incorporated on the board of the first Easy Money game.

          Sent from my iPad
        • Folkopoly
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 4
            The question is among the 1935 versions, of which there are at least two, as to which came first.  The answer would probably be in close scrutiny of the rules.  There would possibly be revisions that would be a clue.

            On Apr 4, 2017 12:38 AM, "Chris Williamson river0god@... [Vintage_Monopoly_Games]" <Vintage_Monopoly_Games@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            It might be a good idea to post photos of the cards and instructions (there were instructions, I used to have them...) of the first game with property cards. I think the Community Chest card idea (the one of the two main contribution of Louis and Ferdinand Thun to Monopoly, the other being apartments/hotels) was incorporated on the board of the first Easy Money game.

            Sent from my iPad

          • cdb1950
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 4
            • M Holcombe
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 4
                Sorry Chris I beg to disagree with points of clarification as follows. In short, there were at least two issued of the double EM & TM.  And, since you also did not include the single & solo EM & TM issue, the Patent Applied For was not the second, nor the third game in the series. It would be the fourth issue in the series.

                I'm going to tree-top the major items and not all the details.  And, I can only speak to what I am aware of.  If anyone is aware of a board that I'm missing within the scope of the first to fifth (double patent) board, please let me know and provide photos.  Lastly, I am talking about material differences in the game components, including the board.  I am not including vibrant boards vs. dull boards as I don't have sufficient evidence on way or the other.  Folkopoly may be right, and it was simply production run differences.  I agree with him as long as there were no other significant component differences.

                The first game issued had EASY MONEY & Trade Mark displayed twice - right-side up & upside down -  within the circle surrounding a green bank - with both the box and board back in Red and houses were small cubes - with four different color movers & sets of cube houses. This issue had property cards.

                The second game issued had was almost the same, with the primary difference being the black box & board back in black.  In addition, it appears to have had six different colored movers & more "normal" gabled houses.  This issue had property cards.  The money was almost the same as the first game.

                The third game issued (the hybrid board as Cliff calls it) had EASY MONEY & Trade Mark displayed once - right-side up - within the circle surrounding a non-colored bank (color equal to the surrounding board). Otherwise pretty much the same as the second board.  This issue had property cards and the same money as the second issue.

                The fourth game issued had EASY MONEY & Trade Mark + Patent Applied For displayed once - right-side up - within the circle above a non-colored bank (color equal to the surrounding board) & new to this game New Improved Edition underneath the BANK towards the right corner. Otherwise pretty much the same as the third board.  HOWEVER, this issue DID NOT HAVE property cards and the color of the money changed.

                The fifth game was similar to the fourth game except that it had the solo EM&TM above the BANK as the Patent Applied For was removed and the double patent information was added below the bank. In addition, Made in the U.S.A was added towards the lower left corner.  Otherwise pretty much the same as the fourth board. As with the forth game, this issue DID NOT HAVE property cards and the color of the money changed from the first three issues.

                Hope this helps.  And, of course I welcome discussion or debate.

                Malcolm

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4
                  I believe the first three sets had the same cards, property cards & instructions. The money on the second & third issue was the same.  However, they both differed from the first issue money in a negligible way.  The first issue also had cube houses and appears to have had only four colors, inferring there may have only been four players.  Not enough info to be conclusive until at least another red set shows up.

                  The next two sets - 4&5 (Patent Applied For & Double Patent) - had different and revised instruction with no property cards and a different color of money, mainly the background color was white on the money.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 4
                      These are the same instructions as my second edition double EM&TM.  Unfortunately, my first issue red box & board does not have the instructions.  But everything else is the same except for the cube houses and 4 colors for four players.  And, a vary minor difference in the money.

                    • themgholcombe
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 4
                        Glad you mentioned it Cliff.

                        The 1st three issues, including your version as the third issue, were all 4559 Trade Mark games.

                        The large box Patent Applied For game changed to 4457 as was the large box Double Patent game.

                      • Chris Williamson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 4
                          Malcolm, I don't think you are disagreeing with me so much as refining on the same line of thinking. I was indeed unaware that there were more than two runs of games with property cards. Dave (Folkopoly) and I compared a bright TM (his) game vs a dull TM game (mine). But I had not seen more than that and mine was not in great shape so it might have been just a board in poor condition or one that was not vibrant to start. I also did not have game components, just the board. You may have a more complete collection than anyone else! The fact that there were so many runs just goes to show how hot the game variants of Monopoly were in late 1935 and early 1936. Sales did not stop after Christmas 1935, as expected but increased, a very rare thing! As people played the Christmas games in 1936 they had to have one also. Monopoly (and variants like Easy Money and Big Business) was the first game with which this ever happened. Keep looking! This is an under researched area of Monopoly study, and well within the preview of this group! I myself would still like to find a single good TM game with property cards as I still just have a poor condition board. My finances are limited though.

                          Sent from my iPad
                        • M Holcombe
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 4
                            I appreciate your response Chris. And, you may be right, I may have the most complete series of the first EM games.  But, who knows, there may be more.  I have a quick question, is Dave's bright board - does it have a red back or black?

                            I only have one red box version, so it's not up for sale.  However, I believe I have one or two Double EM&TM games in the box. And, I have an incomplete set with no box but with a board and most if not all the box contents, including property cards.  I usually sell on ebay. Do you have anything to trade?  Or, conversely, what are you willing to pay for a decent Double EM&TM box set? or the set without a box.  And the board seems to have been eaten abit by bugs if I remember correctly.

                            On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎April‎ ‎4‎, ‎2017‎ ‎05‎:‎03‎:‎26‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EDT, Chris Williamson river0god@... [Vintage_Monopoly_Games] <Vintage_Monopoly_Games@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                          • Michelle Iwankow

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 5
                                Is your red box a TM edition or a later version?

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 5

                                  It is a red TM like the pictures you posted. Unfortunately, like I said, I can't get to them right now. I will try over the next several weeks to confirm what I have.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 5
                                    I sold some of the sets I had, although I think I still have one of them.

                                    There was also a Canadian version in early 1936.  This was of a different design than the US sets, and was put out by a company associated with Milton Bradley.

                                    It seems to have been rushed into production to take advantage of the fact that Elizabeth Magie Phillips did not take out patents on her games there.  This was later corrected with two patents by Parker Brothers.

                                    The first was a Canadian version of the Monopoly patent, but the second was based on Parker's reworked version of Finance, and seems aimed at covering some things in the earlier EMP patents.

                                    The 1936 Canadian Easy Money does not use any cards.  There are Chance squares with instructions that you reach by throw of the dice.

                                    Property cards had become a point of contention with Parker Brothers.  By early 1936, they owned both Monopoly and Finance, the two games Easy Money copied.

                                    MB agreed to take property cards out of their game, in exchange for a license for the two Parker patents, but that wasn't the end of the story.

                                    In 1937, MB issued the game Carnival, derived from the first Landlord's Game patent, which had expired.  That game had property cards.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 5

                                      And I believe, if I recall, this red one I have I did by from you many years ago. Although It may have been a black one. I was trying to complete my collection of having the early easy money games to complement my monopoly games.