Re: leg tray

  • scootomylew
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
      Great! I'm mulling some ideas too. The Honda Met's "inner
      basket" (sounds spiritual...) is exactly contoured to its "inner
      profile". I have this great tool, that many of you may have or know
      about, which is sometimes referred to as a "mimic". It is
      comprised of many thin strands in a bar, and by pressing it
      against a contoured surface, one is able to replicate the contour
      exactly in order to custom cut and fit anything, usually moldings,
      etc.

      Can't wait to hear what you come up with, Tony!

      Jude

      --- In Vino125@yahoogroups.com, "arizonavino"
      <tony_gatto@y...> wrote:

      > I've kind of ignored the notion of having a leg tray until a couple
      > of days ago. Up until then the underseat storage was more
      than
      > enough for my type of errand running. Then I experienced this
      > scenario:
      >
      > I needed to return some materials to the public library. There's
      > convenient drive up drop box for this purpose outside mine.
      But I

      <jllewis@c...> wrote:

      > > I've been looking around the site to find out if anyone has
      > > installed that (semi-worthless looking!) leg tray. I saw a
      photo of
      > > it posted, but I haven't yet located any written info. It does look
      > > sort of pointless to bother with, especially given the proximity
      of
      > > the gas gauge. On my Honda Met II, I installed the front inner
      > > basket and I can't tell you how handy that was to have, for
      garage
      > > door opener, sunglasses, and whatever else. This one for
      the
      > > Vino seems more like a cup, but even that could be handy
      > > enough for me to consider.
      > >
      > > Has anyone installed one? If so, is temporarily
      > > removing/relocating the gas gauge a must in order to do so?
      > >
      > > Thanks - Jude
    • scootomylew
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
        --- In Vino125@yahoogroups.com, "firstvino" <prufus@n...>
        wrote:

        Another approach is to find
        > an extension to the rear platform to allow attachment assembly
        of a
        > GIVI storage box. Just some thoughts on the storage
        expansion.

        > FV

        My Givi E30N Monolock Topcase ($81 plus shipping from
        twistedthrottle.com) came with a "universal" grid platform that I
        was able to attach to the Vino carrier. The trunk then snaps and
        locks in place on the gridded platform. Granted, due to the gas
        cap location, I had to position it fairly far back on the Vino carrier.
        But after I put it all in place I "stressed it out" and the whole bike
        moved while it remained solidly attached. As I mentioned earlier,
        I will only be putting my helmet in there so we'll see how it pans
        out ONCE I CAN RIDE!!!
      • firstvino
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
          Bicycle shops have alot of traveling bags that can be configure onto a
          scooter for use. If not a simple back pack should do it.

          --- In Vino125@yahoogroups.com, "scootomylew" <jllewis@c...> wrote:

          > --- In Vino125@yahoogroups.com, "firstvino" <prufus@n...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > Another approach is to find
          > > an extension to the rear platform to allow attachment assembly
          > of a
          > > GIVI storage box. Just some thoughts on the storage
          > expansion.
          > >
          > > FV
          >
          > My Givi E30N Monolock Topcase ($81 plus shipping from
          > twistedthrottle.com) came with a "universal" grid platform that I
          > was able to attach to the Vino carrier. The trunk then snaps and
          > locks in place on the gridded platform. Granted, due to the gas
          > cap location, I had to position it fairly far back on the Vino carrier.
          > But after I put it all in place I "stressed it out" and the whole bike
          > moved while it remained solidly attached. As I mentioned earlier,
          > I will only be putting my helmet in there so we'll see how it pans
          > out ONCE I CAN RIDE!!!
        • arizonavino
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
            Jude,
            I'm not familiar with "mimic", although it sounds like a variation
            of multi-stranded wire that retains whatever shape you apply. No
            hits on a quick Internet search so if you have a link... I've had
            various thoughts, including FV's good suggestion of using a cargo
            net. I'm trying to solve several things at once, including the
            notion that it should look good, be easily removable, large enough
            for the items I might want to carry yet not intrude into leg space,
            etc. I'd also like something that any other group member can easily
            replicate for low cost. Lot's of tradeoffs, and in the end my
            solution will probably be driven by my mood and available time ;)

          • scootomylew
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
              Tony,

              There are 2 sites I can think of to find these things.
              www.grainger.com has the specific one that I described, and
              www.woodworker.com has a plastic version as well as a longer
              one. Just type in "contour gauge" in the search box and it should
              pop up for you. Some woodworker-type retail stores and nice
              lumberyards usually sell these as well. - Jude

              <tony_gatto@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > 1. Stop and shutdown the scooter
              > > > 2. Get off the scooter.
              > > > 3. Pop the seat and remove the materials.
              > > > 4. Drop them in the box.
              > > > 5. Get back on the scooter.
              > > > 6. Start it and then putter happily to my next destination.
              > > >
              > > > Now think of how much easier that could have been if I had
              > > leg
              > > > tray. I could have pulled up and with the scooter still
              running
              > > > quickly transferred the materials to the drop box. Basically
              > > nice
              > > > quick "drive by"...
              > > >
              > > > I think from not even being on my list of things for the Vino
              > 125,
              > > > leg tray has become a priority item. I'm going to cobble
              > > something
              > > > together for this purpose and let y'all know what I come up

            • arizonavino
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
                Jude,
                Thanks very much for the info - it amazes me I wasn't aware of
                this particular widget considering how much fabrication of one kind
                or another I've done over the years. Learn or re-learn something new
                every day ;)

                Tony

                --- In Vino125@yahoogroups.com, "scootomylew" <jllewis@c...> wrote:

                > Tony,
                >
                > There are 2 sites I can think of to find these things.
                > www.grainger.com has the specific one that I described, and
                > www.woodworker.com has a plastic version as well as a longer
                > one. Just type in "contour gauge" in the search box and it should
                > pop up for you. Some woodworker-type retail stores and nice
                > lumberyards usually sell these as well. - Jude

                --------------------------snick---------------------------------------
              • Steven Buehler
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
                  On Mar 16, 2005, at 10:32 AM, firstvino wrote:

                  > Bicycle shops have alot of traveling bags that can be configure onto a
                  > scooter for use. If not a simple back pack should do it.

                  I've been using a Tour Master sport tailbag that fits easily and nicely
                  on the back of my Vino 125:

                  http://tinyurl.com/5empp

                  It was designed for sport bikes, but the bungee hooks work great on the
                  rear rack. When I get my scooter back this week I'll snap some
                  pictures of the tailbag in action and post them. It will not fit a
                  helmet, but it's a decent size for carrying a lot of other things
                  (particularly stuff that can't tolerate the 113°F heat under the seat,
                  as measured by a hobbyist thermometer I left in there). It also
                  includes a rain cover and a removable shoulder strap for carrying if
                  you don't want to leave it on your bike (I'm looking for a way to
                  secure it so someone can't walk off with it).

                  Steven W. Buehler | steven@.../swbuehler@...
                  Web Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org | http://renaitre.iuma.com
                  Instant Messengers: stevenbuehlerfl (AIM) | swbuehler (Yahoo!/.Mac
                  iChat/Skype) | stevenwbuehler@... (MSN Msgr.)
                • Steven Buehler
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
                    On Mar 16, 2005, at 1:36 PM, Steven Buehler wrote:

                    > I've been using a Tour Master sport tailbag that fits easily and nicely
                    > on the back of my Vino 125:

                    I should also add that it sometimes doubles as an adequate back
                    support. :-)

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
                      I had to smile/comment on your remark about heat in the underseat
                      storage area. You can probably imagine what that thermometer might
                      read here in AZ during mid-summer when the outside temperature is
                      113F or greater ;) Especially after a nice heat soak from a warm
                      engine...

                      But I'll say this much, once you get moving the temperature in the
                      underseat storage does eventually equalize with external ambient. I
                      also drop a frozen ice-pack from our freezer into the storage
                      compartment before making a perishable food run to the grocery.
                      Otherwise you could probably slow cook a chicken or other food item
                      down there during AZ summers ;) Not a bad way to keep fast food warm
                      on your way home...

                      Tony

                      --- In Vino125@yahoogroups.com, Steven Buehler <steven@s...> wrote:
                      ---------------------------snick--------------------------------------
                      > (particularly stuff that can't tolerate the 113°F heat under the
                      seat,
                      > as measured by a hobbyist thermometer I left in there). >>>>>>>>
                      ----------------------------snick-------------------------------------
                    • Steven Buehler
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
                        On Mar 16, 2005, at 3:40 PM, arizonavino wrote:

                        > I had to smile/comment on your remark about heat in the underseat
                        > storage area. You can probably imagine what that thermometer might
                        > read here in AZ during mid-summer when the outside temperature is
                        > 113F or greater ;) Especially after a nice heat soak from a warm
                        > engine...

                        mid to upper 80s with 100% humidity is about equivalent to well over
                        100 in dry conditions. :-)

                        That temp reading was actually taken right after I pulled in from a
                        long ride. It doesn't ever reach equilibrium with the environment
                        because the engine is practically right underneath that seat, and
                        that's where engine heat gets concentrated.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
                          The engine is definitely a source of radiant heat, especially after a
                          very long run. But the situation in the underseat storage area could
                          be far worse except for one fact. The engine is cooled via a fan and
                          shroud which encloses the cylinder head and some of the crankcase.

                          This forced air runs over these heated items and is routed to a
                          discharge horn down low and in front of the engine (there may be
                          another exit somewhere else but I haven't looked much closer). So
                          much of the convective heat generated at the cylinder head and
                          surrounding areas is routed away from the underseat storage area.
                          Otherwise it would probably turn into a molten slag after a few
                          minutes of running ;) There's a nice gap between the underseat
                          storage area and shrouded engine which doesn't hurt either.

                          I can definitely relate to the humidity factor. During our monsoon
                          things are far more "unpleasant" at lower temperatures. But I like
                          to quip that even during a monsoon rain storm here in AZ it still
                          feels drier (to me) than my NYC experiences at 90F+ with high
                          humidity. It's all relative...

                        • firstvino
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 16, 2005
                            With the concern of high temps underneath the seat, I have often
                            employed a soft pouch cooler placed securely on the floor board
                            attached via Velcro. A nice way to carry something cool to drink and
                            fairly stable when situated securely on the floor board. Besides the
                            plastic floor pad is easy to replace.

                            FV

                          • rgallagher02445
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 18, 2005
                              For small items I want quick access to, I took the little fishnet
                              thing that used to be between the front seats of my Dodge Caravan and
                              I hung it with one corner over the Vino gas gauge and another corner
                              under the silver screw in the middle of the front plastic apron.
                              It's convenient for things like mail, gloves, etc., and when there's
                              nothing in it, it shrinks down to nothing and just hangs there out of
                              the way.

                              BTW I think one of the Vinos best attributes is the completely flat
                              floor. I carry a large bag of groceries home that way (Double bagged
                              for strength) and it just balances perfectly! Try it sometime. You
                              can also use a large canvas tote bag if you're organized enough to
                              plan ahead. IMO this is one thing that Vespas and some others lose
                              out on, cause they've got a hump running down the middle of the
                              floorboard.

                              Ron

                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 18, 2005
                                I finally looked at the area today and started working up ideas, none
                                of which got me excited enough to start fabricating just yet ;) A
                                cargo net arrangement was one of them. I'd attach some hooks to the
                                existing mounting screws on the leg shield, and maybe add more where
                                necessary. Then I could attach or remove the net at my whim. I also
                                though about hacking a large wire tray (like you can find at Office
                                Max) to make it conform to the leg shield profile. This weekend I'm
                                going to scout some other possibilties while I'm out shopping.

                                It never occured to me that the flat floor board on the Vino 125 was
                                unique or at least not found on many scooters. I've been using it as
                                you suggested for various loads since the beginning (works great with
                                a car battery). I never looked closely at this detail on Vespas and
                                other scooters, but if it's true this feature is worth mentioning to
                                potential owners. Maybe Yamaha can work it into the brochure... ;)

                                Tony

                                --- In Vino125@yahoogroups.com, "rgallagher02445" <rongallagher@j...>
                                wrote:

                                > For small items I want quick access to, I took the little fishnet
                                > thing that used to be between the front seats of my Dodge Caravan
                                and
                                > I hung it with one corner over the Vino gas gauge and another
                                corner
                                > under the silver screw in the middle of the front plastic apron.
                                > It's convenient for things like mail, gloves, etc., and when
                                there's
                                > nothing in it, it shrinks down to nothing and just hangs there out
                                of
                                > the way.
                                >
                                > BTW I think one of the Vinos best attributes is the completely flat
                                > floor. I carry a large bag of groceries home that way (Double
                                bagged
                                > for strength) and it just balances perfectly! Try it sometime. You
                                > can also use a large canvas tote bag if you're organized enough to
                                > plan ahead. IMO this is one thing that Vespas and some others lose
                                > out on, cause they've got a hump running down the middle of the
                                > floorboard.
                                >
                                > Ron
                                > --- In Vino125@yahoogroups.com, "firstvino" <prufus@n...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > With the concern of high temps underneath the seat, I have often
                                > > employed a soft pouch cooler placed securely on the floor board
                                > > attached via Velcro. A nice way to carry something cool to
                                drink
                                > and
                                > > fairly stable when situated securely on the floor board.
                                Besides
                                > the
                                > > plastic floor pad is easy to replace.
                                > >
                                > > FV

                                -----------------------------Clip-----------------
                                ------------------------
                              • firstvino
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 18, 2005
                                  The flat floor is ideal for my little playmate cooler. Keeps my soda
                                  just fine. Good suggestion about the wire basket. A good wire
                                  basket can be both a great utility storage area as well as place to
                                  attach or hook up things to carry.

                                  FV

                                • Steven Buehler
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 19, 2005
                                    On Mar 19, 2005, at 12:45 AM, firstvino wrote:

                                    > The flat floor is ideal for my little playmate cooler. Keeps my soda
                                    > just fine. Good suggestion about the wire basket. A good wire
                                    > basket can be both a great utility storage area as well as place to
                                    > attach or hook up things to carry.

                                    I use that flat floor on rare occasion for groceries; can wrap the bag
                                    handle around the little luggage hook under the front part of the seat
                                    to keep it in place. I don't do this often, however, because it
                                    doesn't leave much room for my size 12 (US) feet.

                                    That luggage hook there on the front of the seat comes in handy for a
                                    lot of things; I've hooked my computer bag on there a few times. Where
                                    it really shines is that I have a neoprene bottle "koozie" with a
                                    carabiner hook on it that I can hang off that front seat hook and have
                                    a bottle of soda or water handy.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 19, 2005
                                      Well, my scouting venture didn't quite turn up what my eyes were
                                      peeled for. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond (of all places) to look
                                      at their options for shower/bath tub accessory containers. I figure
                                      that whatever is used in that application (i.e. waterproof, and the
                                      ability to drain collected water) could be a possibility for the
                                      scooter. There were a few possibilities, but none that made me
                                      buy just yet. Besides, they would look pretty awful! But then
                                      again, a coat of paint could do wonders for that...

                                      I then went to WalMart to scour their shelves for potential plastic
                                      or wire containers. Seriously considered a dish washer basket
                                      (again, waterproof and drainable) that had a hinged and snap-on
                                      top, but decided against it.

                                      I didn't think of Office Max, but that is a good idea that I will check
                                      out.

                                      I've been thinking of altering a plastic container by piecing
                                      different arced sections together, with aluminum rivets, so that it
                                      follows the contours of the scooter...(this is what being on spring
                                      break can do to a person...!) But I think I need to just keep
                                      looking around. - Jude