Re: [VillageZendoOccupyWall] One year of Occupy Wall Street

  • David Solomon
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2012
      Bokushu, thanks for the report and reflections on the OWS anniversary.  I am not sure that demonizing the 1% is an effective strategy, politically or personally (in the sense of apologizing or agonizing over the fact of success).  It was important that OWS introduce the topic of income inequality into the political atmosphere generally as well as its specific negative effect on Romney's campaign, for both of which i am grateful.

      Several years ago, Ted Turner (in his crude way) started shaming the wealthy who did not contribute to philanthropy.  One of his first target was Bill Gates.  I don't think that Turner is solely responsible for the Gates Foundation, but his criticism must have helped.

      I don't see the issue as 99% vs. 1%, but the attitude of the 1% who believe that they are solely responsible for their success and refuse to contribute to the leveling of inequality or simply to help those who need help.  Recently, this attitude was best exemplified by the slogan at the Republican Convention - "We Build It" - responding to President Obama's (alleged) remark that financial success was dependent on government, when what he said was that success in all endeavors was depended on a civil society that provided the rule of law and physical infrastructure.

      I think that guilt-tripping or shaming those at all levels of society who do not contribute what they can is what we need to do.  At Presbyterian Hospital these days, all staff wear signs that say "Ask me if i have washed my hands," hand washing being the most effective method for preventing iatrogenic disease.  I think that everyone should be encouraged to wear a sign that says something like "Ask me the last time i helped someone" or "What have i done to decrease income inequality."

          Rinsho

      On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM, bokushu <timtucker1000@...> wrote:

      Dear Sangha,

      As you may know, today was the first anniversary of the Occupy Wall Street protests. The occasion was marked with various demonstrations throughout the financial district. If you're interested in reading a first-hand account of the day's events, feel free to visit my blog via the link below.

      Bokushu

      http://bokushublog.blogspot.com/

    • bokushu
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
        Dear Rinsho,

        Thank you for your thoughtful response to my posting. I agree that demonizing anyone is likely to be counterproductive and that the best way forward is to encourage awareness of the social, economic and political problems that plague our society. As we see so clearly from our own Zen practice, with increased attention and awareness a shift in attitude and behavior automatically occurs. We must encourage this attitudinal shift by raising awareness and encouraging reflection, using all "reasonable" means to do so.

        That said, abuses of police power need to be called out and denounced. The use of overwhelming and arbitrary police power to prevent constitutionally protected speech and the right to assembly has become far too common a reflex of the government (that's OUR government, by the way) and power establishment in NYC. Critiquing the abuses and the reactionary mindset that generates police abuses of demonstrators and their allies is not demonizing per se, but there is a fine line to be walked here and unfortunately people on both sides of the debate do not always appreciate the fineness of that line.

        For those who are interested, the Occupy Faith website has some writings and videos that show the recent happenings and the viewpoints of some key participants in all of the activities to encourage the kind of awareness that can translate into societal reform:

        http://occupyfaithnyc.com/

        Bokushu

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
          Bokushu, i agree that the NYPL tramples on constitutional rights - not just in assembly/protest but in many other way, e.g. Stop & Frisk.

          The NYPL works for the power structure and will not be deterred from unconstitutional practices until/unless some mayor orders it so.  That is devoutly to be wished and extremely unlikely.

          The only recourse is law suits.  Unfortunately, they take forever.  I do not think that the suit over unconstitutional practices at the Republican national convention in 2008 has been settled yet but it will be.  One of the women pepper sprayed at the original OWS protest a year ago has just filed suit against the NYC, the NYPL, and the deputy inspector who sprayed the  four women.

          The good news is that the suits ultimately win.  An increasing body of law encircles the NYPL on specific issues, like the Hansu settlement that governs police "intelligence" operations.  But, recently another suit was filed alleging that intelligence operations against Muslims violate Hansu.

          The NYPL will always be able to claim that public order requires action so that there is little likelihood of before-the-act restraint of the police.

          Rinsho