Thoughts on a Singing Foreclosure Auction Blockade in Brooklyn

  • bokushu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27 8:15 AM
      Dear Sangha,

      For those who have already seen the text below, I apologize for this duplicate posting, but there are a couple people in this Yahoo group who were not included in the previous distribution....and hence the duplication offered here.....

      Recently, there has been a lot of news coverage and discussion concerning singing foreclosure auction blockades in New York City. These protest actions have been going on since at least the fall of 2011, and their beauty and simplicity make them a uniquely compelling form of civil dissent. It seems hard to believe that a four-line tune any kindergartner could learn is capable of demolishing the cold machinery of the foreclosure process, but that has happened repeatedly in courthouses around our town. I had to experience this phenomenon for myself, and participated in one such event that occurred in Brooklyn on April 19, 2012.

      For those of you who haven't heard about them, the intention behind these actions is to use the power of people singing together to bring auctions of foreclosed homes to a screeching halt. Auction blockades humanize what has been so carefully dehumanized, ripping away the mask of "business as usual" to show what we all try so hard to hide and from which there is no escape. Whether we're avidly bidding at an auction, averting our eyes from those of a stranger and staring at the subway car floor, or impatiently pushing our way through throngs crowding a sidewalk, our humanity is always hiding in plain sight. All it takes is a scrap of song to bring that humanity gushing forth. There is something uniquely vulnerable about a person singing in public, much less dozens of people, and no institution can stand unmoved for long amidst such vulnerability....

      For more of this account, feel free to visit my blog at the following link:
      http://bokushublog.blogspot.com/2012/04/thoughts-on-singing-foreclosure-auction.html