Chris Hedges: Occupy Movement & Death of the Liberal Class

  • kaizengunn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2012
      Hedges is one of our most profound and prolific reporters/interpreters of American socio-economic reality. Very much worth hearing/reading/seeing. (Kaizen)

      Co-Sponsored with the All Soul Peace and Justice Task Force

      February 7, 2012 7:00 p.m. Reidy Friendship Hall

      THE OCCUPY MOVEMENT AND THE DEATH OF THE LIBERAL CLASS

      Author Chris Hedges argues in his new book, The Death of the Liberal Class, that pillars of the liberal establishment—the church, the press, education, labor, culture and the Democratic Party—have either withered or surrendered to corporate interests. In his lecture he will examine the failure of the liberal class to confront the rise of the corporate state and the consequences for our democracy. Hedges, who has been a leading voice in the Occupy movement, calls upon those of us who care about the issues of justice and democratic equality to turn away from formal systems of power and begin to fight back through various options, including civil disobedience (he was himself arrested outside of Goldman Sachs last November). Failure to do so, he believes, will harden into place a corporate system that will continue to exploit the working class and extinguish what is left of our anemic democracy.

      Chris Hedges spent nearly two decades as a foreign correspondent in the war zones of Central America, the Middle East, Africa, and the Balkans, the last fifteen of which for the New York Times. In 2002 he was a member of a team of reporters who were awarded the Pulitzer Prize for that paper's coverage of global terrorism, and in the same year he was given the Amnesty International Global Award for human rights journalism. A graduate of Colgate College (B.A. in English), and the Harvard Divinity School (M.Div.) where he studied with James Luther Adams, Hedges was awarded an honorary doctorate by the UUs Starr King School for the Ministry in May 2009. He is the author of several books including, War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning (2002), What Every Person Should Know About War (2003), Losing Moses on the Freeway: The Ten Commandments in America (2005), American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America (2007), and Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle (2009). In 2008 he published Collateral Damage for which he interviewed combat veterans from the war in Iraq who had testified on record about the atrocities carried out by US military forces during the occupation of Iraq. He has taught at Columbia, New York University, Princeton and the University of Toronto. He is currently a senior fellow at The Nation Institute and writes a weekly column each Monday for Truthdig.com. See especially his essay "Where Were You When They Crucified My Lord?" at www.truthdig.com

      Refreshments at 6:30 p.m. Program at 7:00 p.m.

      February 7, 2012
      All Souls Unitarian Church
      Reidy Friendship Hall
      1157 Lexington Avenue @ 80 Street