Let's Go Occupy on Saturday 12/17!

  • bokushu
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2011
      There has been a lot of interest in Occupy Wall Street in the VZ community, so I'm wondering if there's anyone who will go with me to the OWS gathering this Saturday 12/17 at noon at Duarte Square? We can show up together and offer Zen right there!

      The plan is to hold a large celebration of OWS to commemorate its 3-month anniversary. This location was chosen to give continued visibility to OWS's request of Trinity Church that OWS be given access to the Trinity-owned vacant lot adjacent to Duarte Square (which is at the northeast corner of the intersection of Sixth Avenue and Canal Street).

      Many faith leaders have petitioned Trinity Church, a major downtown NYC land owner, to open this vacant space to OWS but so far Trinity have refused to do so. This evening I attended a meeting of the Parks, Recreation and Open Space Committee of Community Board 2....Trinity presented during the meeting because it seeks a zoning variance to develop the Duarte property (http://www.improvehudsonsquare.org/). A movement is afoot to tie any approval of Trinity's development dreams to temporarily allowing OWS to occupy the Duarte parcel. Alas, the assertive plea I offered this evening on behalf of OWS was not warmly received by Trinity's representative.

      Undaunted but Trinity's curt refusal, I will be going to the OWS event on Saturday -- see below for a fuller description. Anyone wishing to show up and support the OWS message and advocate for the OWS medium can email me directly at timtucker1000@...

      Bokushu

      http://www.facebook.com/events/306057236094749/

      RE-OCCUPY 12.17.11

      SATURDAY, DECEMBER 17th at 12PM
      DUARTE SQ. PARK, 6th AVE & CANAL
      PROTECT & CELEBRATE THE OCCUPY MOVEMENT
      FOR SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC JUSTICE
      OCCUPY

      Join artists, musicians, and local community members for an all-day performance event in support of Occupy Wall Street's re-occupation of space in downtown Manhattan.

      FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION and right to assemble are sacred human freedoms. Occupy Wall Street has renewed a sense of hope, revived a belief in community and awakened a revolutionary spirit too long silenced. To Occupy is to embody the spirit of liberation that we wish to manifest in our society.

      On Saturday, December 17th – the 3 month anniversary of Occupy Wall Street, the birthday of Bradley Manning, and the 1 year anniversary of the self-immolation of Mohamed Bouazizi – the act that sparked the Arab Spring – Occupy Wall Street will liberate another space.

      Occupations create space for community, values, ideas and a level of meaningful dialogue absent in the present political and social system. They have allowed us to realize that we cannot fix our crises isolated from one another. We need collective action, and we need civic space. We are creating that civic space.

      Outdoor public space plays a crucial role in this civic process and encourages open, transparent organizing in our movement, unbeholden to a broken political system. As we saw in Liberty Square, outdoor space invites people to listen, speak, share, learn, and act. It is a source of inspiration and empowerment.

      Over the last month we have seen a series of coordinated attacks on occupations across the nation in an attempt to stop the growth of a movement for social and economic justice. Outdoor space is a threat
      because it is a visible form of dissent– a visible challenge to the system, visibility that screams liberation.

      We occupy to liberate. We move forward in the grand tradition of the transformative social movements that have defined American history. We stand on the shoulders of those who have struggled before us, and we pick up where others have left off. We are seeking a better society for us all.

      Join us as we liberate space and deepen this moment into an enduring movement.