Upcoming events via OccupyFaith: REOCCUPY RALLY Saturday, 12/17, 12pmNoon

  • kaizengunn
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2011
      UPDATE: 12.13.11
      - OWS Holiday Party Tonight
      - Occupy Faith Meeting Thursday, at 4th Universalist Society
      - Major Gathering on Saturday 12.17.11, OWS "Re-occupation" Day

      Much happening this week. First, all are invited to the OWS Holiday Party, tonight starting at 7:30p, at Church of the Ascension, 12 West 11th St. between 5th and 6th Avenues (closer to 5th). There were particular invites here to all Community Board 2 board members and local residents, to discuss ways that OWS and Community Board 2 can partner to strengthen the Lower Manhattan neighborhood, support local business, and promote social and economic justice in our community. Coffee, Tea and light snacks will be served.

      Thursday, 12.15.11, join us at 10a at the 4th Universalist Society in the City of New York (160 Central Park West New York, NY 10023) for an Occupy Faith NYC meeting. We will discuss in particular the controversy with our friends at Trinity Wall Street, the ask OWS has made of them, the ask for support OWS has made of us, and the upcoming actions on Saturday, December 17th. Refreshments provided by our friends Hannah and Nomi, this year's Faiths Act Fellows, in recognition of the International Human Solidarity Day on December 20th.

      Finally, OWS has asked ALL Faith Leaders to join them this coming Saturday, December 17th, for a day of "Re-Occupation." They are asking for all to gather at 12p Noon at Duarte Park at 6th & Canal. For those of you who have been following OWS, you may know that this is near a space owned by Trinity Wall Street, where OWS four activists have been on a hunger strike in a coordinated ask for use of this space. Saturday will be a HUGE rally and concert, and though I don't have all the details yet of the day, these will all come by the time of our Thursday meeting, and I have asked OWS to be in attendance to give a history of their engagement with Trinity and this space in particular. In the meantime, check out these OWS links:

      http://d17re-occupy.tumblr.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/events/306057236094749/

      Given the natural controversy of this, and the likelihood that this story will blow up in the media as of Saturday, it is important that we all have a chance to share information and consider our own involvement on Thursday. For my own part I will be supporting the OWS ask of Trinity, and we will be hearing from a few Episcopal Bishops and Priests as to why they will be as well. See you then.

      In the meantime, a day by day account of OWS activities can always be found at: http://occupywallst.org/

      best,
      Rev. Michael Ellick
      646.734.0162