Conversation #4 of VillageZendoOccupyWall

  • kaizengunn
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2011
      Although there was a shared feeling of needing to keep alert to actions and opportunities, and we will continue to be responsive to rallies and gatherings, most people in the group felt it appropriate to defer further planning until the new year.

      Meanwhile, this website will continue to be a place for our continuing conversations and we do invite people to post their thoughts, feelings or items of interest for the common interest in the issues of OWS. Concern was expressed that if OWS faded, how would the issues be kept alive, for they are clearly crucial to a possible future? All present felt that, speaking personally, the issues would neither go away nor fade into forgetfulness. So the question will be raised again in early January.

      Meanwhile, I have two related books to highly recommend:

      1) Taigen Daniel Leighton's newest book, Zen Questions: Zazen, Dogen, and the Spirit of Creative Inquiry. This is an extraordinary book by one of our finest translators and interpreters of Dogen in America. Of particular interest to VZOccupyWall people is Part 5: American Zen Engagement, where he takes up the issues of our society as it relates to our bodhisattva vows. Marvelously readable, poignant and humorous!

      2) Chris Hedges, Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle. Hedges, Pulitzer Prize winner, foreign correspondent and author of War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning, lays out with chilling clarity five Illusions of America: The Illusion of LIteracy, of Love, of Wisdom, of Happiness and the Illusion of America. It is precisely the kind of detailed analysis and critique that comprises what Buddhism understands as the deluded mind, collective version. Superb!

      Kaizen