Re: Another interesting article

  • ladybug
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
      I don't don't disagree. I love my work at the college, and feel that my work is no less important.Every person can suffer, and every person who receives support and help can become a bodhisattva that helps many, and they can be rich or poor. or middle class. personally I was ready to move on to other work (ironically- I don't earn more then I did working for the city- so I am still in the middle class struggling group, no matter where I work) but it saddens me greatly that my role was not able to be filled by a new eager person who is ready to do social service work, because the program folded as I left. and so many my amazing colleagues had to find other positions. I am so grateful to have my current job.

      I find the article therefor naive, though well intentioned. The city finds using security guards - who usually work for agencies w/o benefits, and even paying cops overtime is way cheaper then paying for skilled social service providers even those willing to work for a fairly low salary. In truth, it does "save" the city money. However, we as a society pay the price.

      toeri