Re: Another interesting article

  • ladybug
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
      Hi all,

      Chiming in (sorry for the re-post, fixed some typos)

      I find the article that Roshi posted interesting, and well intentioned, although as someone who has worked for over 10 years with homeless youth and adults in the city, and have been laid off twice because both programs folded because of lack of funding-that there really are barely any paid social service providers who can effectively do the work! My last job of 7 years,at the Bellevue Men Shelter, was started in the late 80's provided services that brought mental health clinicians to men suffering from mental illness, or other difficulties that left them on the margins of society- felons out of prisons, substance abusers etc. which were previously being "managed" by security guards and city police and their was no rehabilitation. The program flourished, employing social workers,psychiatrists,creative arts therapists, substance abuse counselors...we served countless men, some very much like the kind described in the article. We helped placed hundreds of men in secure community housing- an application process which is impossible for someone in that situation to do alone as it is so daunting. In the meanwhile, the staff working there, including myself were struggling. are salaries were barely enough to make it through the month, even those with graduate degrees were working on salaries in the high 40s low 50s- But we loved our work and what we did. Then is 2008, the program was closed by Bellevue and the city hospital system. The men that remained in the program were absorbed back into the regular shelter,where they are again just being managed by security guards and I guess occasional meeting with a city worker. More and more programs like this have been closing in the last few years around the city, and I don't think there has been one article in the paper addressing this.

      So I say- yeas, that is a good idea to provide mental health and social services to OWS folk who need it ( and being there, clearly many do) instead of sending in the police. But who would those services be provided by? I had to leave my city, social service work, and seek employment in a private art college. Now, I serve some low income people, but mostly young people who are more privileged economically. I guess this is the priority of our society. We invest our resources in what we value. Social service providers and the homeless are not.
      We are in the same boat.

      Torei

      --- In VillageZendoOccupyWall@yahoogroups.com, Pat Enkyo O'Hara <enkyoo@...> wrote:

      > http://www.tikkun.org/nextgen/what-if-they-sent-in-social-services-to-help-occupations-instead-of-riot-cops-to-bust-heads
      > Pat Enkyo O'Hara
      > enkyoo@...
      > åœ"教

    • Elena TaJo
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
        I feel so sad reading this.   I've had related experiences and now work with the privileged.  I hold on to the idea that broadening the context for the upper class changes things for everyone.  I still feel sad though.

        --
        Elena TaJo
        http://OGReHome.com

      • Kaizen
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
          As a psychotherapist, I work with a wide range of people. I'm in private practice, and operate on my self-devised sliding scale.....I charge some people a lot of money, and some people pay barely anything.....that does mean I have to decide whether I can afford to accept lesser-paying people at any given point in time....e.g., right now, I can't!!

          Kaizen

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
            I don't don't disagree. I love my work at the college, and feel that my work is no less important.Every person can suffer, and every person who receives support and help can become a bodhisattva that helps many, and they can be rich or poor. or middle class. personally I was ready to move on to other work (ironically- I don't earn more then I did working for the city- so I am still in the middle class struggling group, no matter where I work) but it saddens me greatly that my role was not able to be filled by a new eager person who is ready to do social service work, because the program folded as I left. and so many my amazing colleagues had to find other positions. I am so grateful to have my current job.

            I find the article therefor naive, though well intentioned. The city finds using security guards - who usually work for agencies w/o benefits, and even paying cops overtime is way cheaper then paying for skilled social service providers even those willing to work for a fairly low salary. In truth, it does "save" the city money. However, we as a society pay the price.

            toeri