Re: [VictoriaYC] Bearings on the sail servo arm...

  • Michael Biggs
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19 12:12 PM
      I think you can do no better than ceramic fishing guides for sheet bearings on a Vic. There may be classes where the sheet tension is high enough that anti-friction bearings are a definite improvement (such as maybe IOM, but even here you can maybe just put in a sail servo with more torque - don't hold me to anything regarding IOMs), but I'm reasonably sure that isn't the case for Vics, unless, as I said in the first place, your sail servo is a little underpowered. Then I'd replace the servo...

      I have a couple hundred small plastic beads I picked up someplace such as Michaels or Hobby Lobby that I have used some of the time, but my main servo arm bearings the last several years have been small plastic rings, also from someplace like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Or a WalMart sewing section. They might be sewn along the edge of kitchen curtains to fit around a small-diameter curtain rod. I epoxy these items to my model aircraft plywood servo arms, but I've also used sheet aluminum. I've used the offset arms, and straight-across arms. I liked the idea of the offset arm, which when properly positioned, allows a hard-on-the-wind main to open a little faster than the jib, so that when a puff hits, one can ease off a tad to allow the boat to come back more upright, but the jib continues to drive. But the guys who were beating me regularly didn't bother with offset arms, so I decided to try it their way, and I've never bothered to go back. They still beat
      me regularly.

      Other places I've used plastic screw anchors that I trimmed short, keeping only the "eyelet" part, which I epoxied in the hull where appropriate. Think I've seen aluminum pop rivets used, but I wouldn't swear to it. Any smooth, round, hard surface will probably make a good bearing surface for sheets.

      Mike Biggs