crack in bottom of lazarette

  • Gospel
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2012
      My first sail boat is now being restored. I have a V-24 and I have a question about the lazarette. The bottom forward of the lazarette has about a half inch crack from port to starboard at the bottom bulk head leading into the cabin area. I was wondering if this crack should be there?

      Is there some structural reason for the crack? It looks as though it was made that way and was never glassed over and sealed completely at the bottom of the Lazarette.
      The lazarette represents a vulnerability for leaks from through holes and vibrations from the outboard engine. It appears to me it would be best to completely seal off the lazarette in case either the lazarette or the cabin ever leaked or filled with water? The sealed lazarette would help to keep the boat afloat in case of a cabin full of water???

      Any suggestions would be appreciated.

      Thanks

      Will Wade
    • fuller630
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2012
        I guess I have an early boat with no floor in there at all. It is all open to the hull. Mine hasn't sunk in close to 30 years....so far. The floatation will keep it afloat.

        --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Gospel" <gospelmentor@...> wrote:

        > My first sail boat is now being restored. I have a V-24 and I have a question about the lazarette. The bottom forward of the lazarette has about a half inch crack from port to starboard at the bottom bulk head leading into the cabin area. I was wondering if this crack should be there?
        >
        > Is there some structural reason for the crack? It looks as though it was made that way and was never glassed over and sealed completely at the bottom of the Lazarette.
        > The lazarette represents a vulnerability for leaks from through holes and vibrations from the outboard engine. It appears to me it would be best to completely seal off the lazarette in case either the lazarette or the cabin ever leaked or filled with water? The sealed lazarette would help to keep the boat afloat in case of a cabin full of water???
        >
        > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Will Wade

      • Gospel
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
          Thanks a lot.

          Will Wade

          --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "fuller630" <pianotuner5293@...> wrote:

          > I guess I have an early boat with no floor in there at all. It is all open to the hull. Mine hasn't sunk in close to 30 years....so far. The floatation will keep it afloat.
          >
          > --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Gospel" <gospelmentor@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My first sail boat is now being restored. I have a V-24 and I have a question about the lazarette. The bottom forward of the lazarette has about a half inch crack from port to starboard at the bottom bulk head leading into the cabin area. I was wondering if this crack should be there?
          > >
          > > Is there some structural reason for the crack? It looks as though it was made that way and was never glassed over and sealed completely at the bottom of the Lazarette.
          > > The lazarette represents a vulnerability for leaks from through holes and vibrations from the outboard engine. It appears to me it would be best to completely seal off the lazarette in case either the lazarette or the cabin ever leaked or filled with water? The sealed lazarette would help to keep the boat afloat in case of a cabin full of water???
          > >
          > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Will Wade

        • mike gillis
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
            Thanks Fuller. I am not sure where you found that, but it is printed and in my V24 folder and saved to my computer. If I need it I know where I can find it.