Venture 24 mainsail rigging questions????

  • Darrin Gleiser
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2012
      Hello All,

      I am new to sailing and just purchased hull# 507.  I'm trying to understand how the boom stays level. Does the halyard line attach to the end of the boom (after raising the sail) through the outhaul loop or in some other manner?  Also there is a pully set up on the bottom of the boom 1/3 of the way out from the mast that looks like it is factory.  Is this for a boomvang or part of the factory rigging?  Also, my keel appears to not go down all the way and seems to be too snug for the keel locker. I removed the bolts (big and little) at the top of the keel locker, but the top of the keel does not make it that far to be locked out.  Any suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Darrin
    • joshua
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2012
        Hi Darrin, the main tension keeps the boom level, just hoist the main to the top, the pulley is for the vang,, should be a bail or something @ the base of the mast to attatch it,, as far as the keel trunk, the same haooened with mine, water migrated into the keel,rusting the steel strap within the fiberglass, thus swelling the whole thing where it makes it hard to lock in, bad news! or theres something in the trunk, debris holding it back? had to redo the keel on mine, take the top off the trunk and have a look. Do not ignore this, trust me! my keel got frozen in the trunk and was held in the halfway down position, I had to chisel it out, hope this helps.

        --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, Darrin Gleiser <seqen7@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I am new to sailing and just purchased hull# 507. I'm trying to understand
        > how the boom stays level. Does the halyard line attach to the end of the
        > boom (after raising the sail) through the outhaul loop or in some other
        > manner? Also there is a pully set up on the bottom of the boom 1/3 of the
        > way out from the mast that looks like it is factory. Is this for a
        > boomvang or part of the factory rigging? Also, my keel appears to not go
        > down all the way and seems to be too snug for the keel locker. I removed
        > the bolts (big and little) at the top of the keel locker, but the top of
        > the keel does not make it that far to be locked out. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Darrin

      • Darrin Gleiser
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2012
          Hello Joshua,  thanks for getting back to me on these issues,  I think my original sail is shot because it allows the boom to be at least 6" below parallel. I have since added a lift line and rigged in a boom vang and cunningham. When I use a Catalina 25 mainsail, it stays pretty level without the top lift.  So as I understand, the metal portion of the top of the keel is what swells when rusted?  I'm considering just lowering the front with a jack and some sort of cradle for inspection and possible rebuild.  I am assuming that the wooden areas are not the main culprit?  Thanks for the warning, I do not know how I would get it out of the water if it got stuck halfway down.