Bare Bare Basics

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
      Since this is my first post, I want to start by saying THANK YOU to all the people who've taken time to give detailed information and post photos here that have been so helpful to me as I work my way through putting together my "new" (1972) V24.

      I basically bought a rehab project that someone had given up on.  What I have is a clean hull and top deck, a new centerboard and rudder, mast, boom and old sails.  I have much work to do to get the boat like I ultimately want it, but I want to be sailing THIS SUMMER. I don't have money to buy everything I'd like or hire someone to work on the boat, so it's all up to me, my wits, and the scraps I can salvage.

      I love to simply sail, so I can do away with finishing the cabin interior for now. I can even get by without a motor if need be. (I've sailed to and from the dock without one many a time with my old V22.)  But there are a few indispensable items I need to make:

      (Note: I plan to finish this boat "nicer" over the winter, but just want to get it on the water ASAP)
      • Spreaders.  I need to make them or find a really inexpensive pair somewhere.
      • Windows. I need to stop water from coming in those two huge oblong holes on either side of the cabin.
      • Rigging.  It came with some. (Wire rope for forestay, backstay and shrouds; new rope for the halyards and sheets; and some assorted cleats, shackles, blocks, etc.)  I'll need to buy a few small pieces of new hardware for both the standing and running rigging and and figure out how to configure the sheets. (My memory of years of sailing in my youth, along with some very helpful posts I've already read here should get me by.)
      I know there is a lot of work to do over the next few weeks, but I like to think that "the hard part"-- including getting that damn centerboard in place-- (they're kind of heavy, aren't they?)-- is over.

      Any advice-- especially if it doesn't involve spending thousands of dollars-- would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

      P.S.  I will try to post some photos soon in the hopes that they may be of help to anyone else outfitting a V24 "from scratch".
    • Ken Chapman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
        YOU CAN USE A BOLLLE JACK UNDER THE KEEL. USE THAT LINE EVERYTHING UP

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
          Sounds similar to my project. If you don’t have the frames for the windows, then have a close look at the fiberglass around the openings. There should be a factory scribe line cast into the cabin showing the factory workers where to cut out for the window opening. In the case of my boat, the workers missed the line by a mile. You might re-cut the opening to the scribe line, and then add an inch and a half all the way around. Then buy some smoked 1/4” plexiglass, cut it to your 1 1/2” added outside line, sand the edges smooth, and install them with SS screws every 3” and a couple of beads of adhesive caulking. After it cures, take a rotary cutoff tool inside and cut off the sharp tool ends. This is the way someone did the windows on one of my V24s, and it looked okay and didn’t let any ocean into the boat.
          Good luck, especially with the keel. It will try your patience.
          Brian
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
            Thanks. That's more or less what I was thinking-- just do without a new frame.

            Cut plexiglass in the shape of, but about an even inch (or inch and a half) all around, then fasten it from the outside with small bolts and caulk all around. If the plexiglass isn't clear, then the caulk won't show from the outside.

            But i figured I would still have bolt ends with washers and nuts showing on the inside. Are you suggesting that I use screws instead of bolts and cut the tips off from the inside?  Strong adhesive rather than silicone caulk holding the windows on?  That would sure look better from the inside. (Assuming no frame.)

            You've got me excited. I'm going to start looking for some strong adhesive to put around the edges. (I've got a quote of $40 from a local guy for the glass-- $60 if he cuts it.)

            The keel/centerboard was a bugger, but I'm all done with that part. It's in place and looking good.

            I'm thinking of making new spreaders from aluminum tubing and maybe just buying tips/ends online.

            I've been having trouble connecting with the BWY online catalog, so I'll try calling them by phone this week about the spreader tips and some new blocks, etc.  Word seems to be that they are a good source.  (And I'm hoping they're less expensive than West Marine-- my old sailboat hardware source.)

            --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Brian or Judi" <bandj@...> wrote:

            > Sounds similar to my project. If you don’t have the frames for the windows, then have a close look at the fiberglass around the openings. There should be a factory scribe line cast into the cabin showing the factory workers where to cut out for the window opening. In the case of my boat, the workers missed the line by a mile. You might re-cut the opening to the scribe line, and then add an inch and a half all the way around. Then buy some smoked 1/4” plexiglass, cut it to your 1 1/2” added outside line, sand the edges smooth, and install them with SS screws every 3” and a couple of beads of adhesive caulking. After it cures, take a rotary cutoff tool inside and cut off the sharp tool ends. This is the way someone did the windows on one of my V24s, and it looked okay and didn’t let any ocean into the boat.
            > Good luck, especially with the keel. It will try your patience.
            > Brian

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
              By the way, I just noticed the typo in the subject line here. I meant to call it Bare BOAT Basics.

              --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evandixon@...> wrote:

              > Since this is my first post, I want to start by saying THANK YOU to all
              > the people who've taken time to give detailed information and post
              > photos here that have been so helpful to me as I work my way through
              > putting together my "new" (1972) V24.
              > I basically bought a rehab project that someone had given up on. What I
              > have is a clean hull and top deck, a new centerboard and rudder, mast,
              > boom and old sails. I have much work to do to get the boat like I
              > ultimately want it, but I want to be sailing THIS SUMMER. I don't have
              > money to buy everything I'd like or hire someone to work on the boat, so
              > it's all up to me, my wits, and the scraps I can salvage.
              > I love to simply sail, so I can do away with finishing the cabin
              > interior for now. I can even get by without a motor if need be. (I've
              > sailed to and from the dock without one many a time with my old V22.)
              > But there are a few indispensable items I need to make:
              > (Note: I plan to finish this boat "nicer" over the winter, but just want
              > to get it on the water ASAP)
              > * Spreaders. I need to make them or find a really inexpensive pair
              > somewhere.
              > * Windows. I need to stop water from coming in those two huge oblong
              > holes on either side of the cabin.
              > * Rigging. It came with some. (Wire rope for forestay, backstay and
              > shrouds; new rope for the halyards and sheets; and some assorted cleats,
              > shackles, blocks, etc.) I'll need to buy a few small pieces of new
              > hardware for both the standing and running rigging and and figure out
              > how to configure the sheets. (My memory of years of sailing in my youth,
              > along with some very helpful posts I've already read here should get me
              > by.)
              > I know there is a lot of work to do over the next few weeks, but I like
              > to think that "the hard part"-- including getting that damn centerboard
              > in place-- (they're kind of heavy, aren't they?)-- is over.
              > Any advice-- especially if it doesn't involve spending thousands of
              > dollars-- would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
              > P.S. I will try to post some photos soon in the hopes that they may be
              > of help to anyone else outfitting a V24 "from scratch".

            • Henry Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
                If you find the correct length bolts you could use acorn nuts on the inside to dress it up a little.

                Henry

                --
                Henry
                http://sports.webshots.com/slideshow/230613770IXBurv