fiber glass

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011
      Ok, I need some help, the person I purchased the boat from use that expanding foam to fix any and every leak, the drains near the cock pit, and crack on the seam of the cock pit and front wall of cabin. Any ideas on how to redo the pluming from the cock pit drains to keel tube. I will post a new pic of what I had to cut out of the deck to remove all of the expo foam, it had found several cracks and opened up the fiberglass.
    • Matt Loyd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011
        I believe the "stock" setup for the cockpit drain/keel cable passageway involved the use of  glassed-in sleeves that protruded a couple of inches into the cabin from above (cockpit) and below (hull).  These sleeves were then joined by a piece of what looked like automotive radiator hose and fastened with hose clamps.

        This seems to work well. The hose is really sturdy, yet it does allow for flex between the deck and hull surfaces. A solid drain tube would likely fail due to it's lack of flexibility.

        Good idea to remove the foam. I would be afraid that it would mask a small problem until it became a HUGE problem. The only application I could see it possibly used for is insulating lockers, etc.  Even then I would have a hard time believing it would be worth the minimal thermal and noise barrier it would provide.

        Good luck. Boats really are a labor of love.

        Matt

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 2, 2011, at 12:45 PM, "Frank" <paco1447@...> wrote:

        Ok, I need some help, the person I purchased the boat from use that expanding foam to fix any and every leak, the drains near the cock pit, and crack on the seam of the cock pit and front wall of cabin. Any ideas on how to redo the pluming from the cock pit drains to keel tube. I will post a new pic of what I had to cut out of the deck to remove all of the expo foam, it had found several cracks and opened up the fiberglass.

      • JOSH GALLAGHER
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011
          mine is also set up with the two fiberglass cups connected by some 2-2.5" heavy duty rubber hose.

          Would be easy to use some dixie cups as molds to make new ones.  Probably a good idea to replace the rubber hose while it's out too.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
            Re: cockpit drain:  On my 71 V24, the upper and lower fiberglass sections are only about 1/2 inch apart, so there is no hose, just a piece of foam.  It is hard to see, but it appears that the metal tube in the cockpit goes down into the lower fiberglass section also.

            John