keels

  • brew495
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2011
      Just today lifted my boat off the trailer and dropped the keep enough to get a good look. Think it is beyond repair. Not only are large metal slabs crackking off the sides, there is at least a two foot crack laterally. Haven't begun to take off all the "garbage" but am decidely "not encouraged" with what I see.
      Looking at the work Chris did on his makes me wonder if his keel and mine are the same thing.
      Is it possible to have a two inch slab of steel or iron cut to shape and then shape it with bondo, mat and etc.? And is the cost prohibitive? Boat is in very good condition otherwise. Have completely restored the interior and now doing the exterior.
      Please help any way you can.
      Bob
    • JOSH GALLAGHER
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2011
        i've never made a keel but i would think it would be pretty easy.

        remove old keel.

        take keel to a welding shop.

        have them make a keel out of a solid slab of steel using the crap one as a templet.  Tell them you need it to weigh the same.

        add layers of steel to make it the same weigh or, remove material to reduce weight if needed.

        take it home where you can cover her in fiberglass and seal her up.

        my dads plant has 12 foot by 12 foot slabs of 3/4 inch thick and 1/2 inch thick steel laying out in a field.  If i ever need a keel i'm getting a plasma cutter and making one.  I'll use the truck weigh dock to match up the weight.

        No since in junking a boat when a small welding/fab shop might have scrap steel laying around collecting rust.

        Might even be able to post a wanted services ad on craigslist and find a welder/metal worker who's between jobs/doing side work.

        You can go to many metal yards and pick up the metal yourself for the current price for scrap metal per pound.

        Just today lifted my boat off the trailer and dropped the keep enough to get a good look.  Think it is beyond repair.  Not only are large metal slabs crackking off the sides, there is at least a two foot crack laterally.  Haven't begun to take off all the "garbage" but am decidely "not encouraged" with what I see.
        Looking at the work Chris did on his makes me wonder if his keel and mine are the same thing.
        Is it possible to have a two inch slab of steel or iron cut to shape and then shape it with bondo, mat and etc.?  And is the cost prohibitive?  Boat is in very good condition otherwise.  Have completely restored the interior and now doing the exterior.
        Please help any way you can.
        Bob

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Venture24-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Venture24-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • brew495
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2011
          Thanks for the input. Have thought of taking the old keel to a fabrication shop and having a new slab made. However, not many shops of that kind around here. Might just strip the old keep down, weld the good parts back together and use lots of bondo and fiberglass.

          --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, JOSH GALLAGHER <dohcdelsol93@...> wrote:

          > i've never made a keel but i would think it would be pretty easy.
          >
          > remove old keel.
          >
          > take keel to a welding shop.
          >
          > have them make a keel out of a solid slab of steel using the crap one as a templet.  Tell them you need it to weigh the same.
          >
          > add layers of steel to make it the same weigh or, remove material to reduce weight if needed.
          >
          > take it home where you can cover her in fiberglass and seal her up.
          >
          > my dads plant has 12 foot by 12 foot slabs of 3/4 inch thick and 1/2 inch thick steel laying out in a field.  If i ever need a keel i'm getting a plasma cutter and making one.  I'll use the truck weigh dock to match up the weight.
          >
          > No since in junking a boat when a small welding/fab shop might have scrap steel laying around collecting rust.
          >
          > Might even be able to post a wanted services ad on craigslist and find a welder/metal worker who's between jobs/doing side work.
          >
          > You can go to many metal yards and pick up the metal yourself for the current price for scrap metal per pound.

        • fuller630
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2011
            This pic may be good news for you. From Overkeel site.

            http://www.mjs.mjsco.com/sbpics_w13/index.htm

            --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "brew495" <brew495@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the input. Have thought of taking the old keel to a fabrication shop and having a new slab made. However, not many shops of that kind around here. Might just strip the old keep down, weld the good parts back together and use lots of bondo and fiberglass.
            >
            > --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, JOSH GALLAGHER <dohcdelsol93@> wrote:
            > >
            > > i've never made a keel but i would think it would be pretty easy.
            > >
            > > remove old keel.
            > >
            > > take keel to a welding shop.
            > >
            > > have them make a keel out of a solid slab of steel using the crap one as a templet.  Tell them you need it to weigh the same.
            > >
            > > add layers of steel to make it the same weigh or, remove material to reduce weight if needed.
            > >
            > > take it home where you can cover her in fiberglass and seal her up.
            > >
            > > my dads plant has 12 foot by 12 foot slabs of 3/4 inch thick and 1/2 inch thick steel laying out in a field.  If i ever need a keel i'm getting a plasma cutter and making one.  I'll use the truck weigh dock to match up the weight.
            > >
            > > No since in junking a boat when a small welding/fab shop might have scrap steel laying around collecting rust.
            > >
            > > Might even be able to post a wanted services ad on craigslist and find a welder/metal worker who's between jobs/doing side work.
            > >
            > > You can go to many metal yards and pick up the metal yourself for the current price for scrap metal per pound.

          • Bob Brewer
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2011
              Did see that particular keel and while mine looks a little worse believe with some effort can be made whole again.  I appreciate all the input from members.  Have utilized many ideas seen in the photos and believe my Venture will be superior to the factory copies.

              This pic may be good news for you. From Overkeel site.

              http://www.mjs.mjsco.com/sbpics_w13/index.htm

              --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "brew495" <brew495@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the input. Have thought of taking the old keel to a fabrication shop and having a new slab made. However, not many shops of that kind around here. Might just strip the old keep down, weld the good parts back together and use lots of bondo and fiberglass.
              >
              > --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, JOSH GALLAGHER <dohcdelsol93@> wrote:
              > >
              > > i've never made a keel but i would think it would be pretty easy.
              > >
              > > remove old keel.
              > >
              > > take keel to a welding shop.
              > >
              > > have them make a keel out of a solid slab of steel using the crap one as a templet.  Tell them you need it to weigh the same.
              > >
              > > add layers of steel to make it the same weigh or, remove material to reduce weight if needed.
              > >
              > > take it home where you can cover her in fiberglass and seal her up.
              > >
              > > my dads plant has 12 foot by 12 foot slabs of 3/4 inch thick and 1/2 inch thick steel laying out in a field.  If i ever need a keel i'm getting a plasma cutter and making one.  I'll use the truck weigh dock to match up the weight.
              > >
              > > No since in junking a boat when a small welding/fab shop might have scrap steel laying around collecting rust.
              > >
              > > Might even be able to post a wanted services ad on craigslist and find a welder/metal worker who's between jobs/doing side work.
              > >
              > > You can go to many metal yards and pick up the metal yourself for the current price for scrap metal per pound.

            • co_piercer
              Message 6 of 7 , May 14, 2011
                Chances are that the keel is NOT beyond repair.. There is a bunch of coating/filler/goo that the keel is made with that needs to be removed. This is the toughest part of the whole process. Take lots of photos to refer to before you strip the old keel. (to get the shape right after).

                Then take the time to really scrape the keel down to metal.. I think you will find it is VERY usable. I had a friend with a sand blaster for the final cleanup.

                I primed mine with an etching primer, then filled the sharp edges with pourable two part foam. The foam was shaped with a palm sander, then coated with epoxy.
                A few layers of filler, foam, glass, epoxy and several cans of elbow grease were all that was needed !!

                The final layer was a couple of coats of bottom anti-fouling paint.
                The hard work was all worth it..!!!

                Sand blast media $40
                Etching primer $80
                Epoxy (whole gallon, way more than enough!!!)
                $200
                Fiberglass (3 layers of 6 oz cloth)
                $100

                Total around $420, plus lots of sander pads !!

                Lemme know if you would like more information !! I would love to help !!

                Chris Rohrer

                --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "brew495" <brew495@...> wrote:

                > Just today lifted my boat off the trailer and dropped the keep enough to get a good look. Think it is beyond repair. Not only are large metal slabs crackking off the sides, there is at least a two foot crack laterally. Haven't begun to take off all the "garbage" but am decidely "not encouraged" with what I see.
                > Looking at the work Chris did on his makes me wonder if his keel and mine are the same thing.
                > Is it possible to have a two inch slab of steel or iron cut to shape and then shape it with bondo, mat and etc.? And is the cost prohibitive? Boat is in very good condition otherwise. Have completely restored the interior and now doing the exterior.
                > Please help any way you can.
                > Bob

              • Bob Brewer
                Message 7 of 7 , May 15, 2011
                  Thanks Chris,
                  It is probably "savebly".  When I saw the cracks all  the way through I was thinking the worst.  Tomorrow I drop it all the way and put it on sawhorses and then begin stripping it. After that I can get a better idea of what it needs.  Your information is great and I will probably refer to you many times.  When it comes to working in wood I have no problem but this keel will be the first in metal.  Have fiberglassed boats at least three times so am pretty competent in that area and building and shaping the keel will be no problem.
                  Bob