New Venture rebuilder!

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2010
      Hey there!, great forum and I WILL need your help...
      I have a 1970 Venture 24 that has been in the family for about 15 years and has been sitting in the Texas sun unused for the last 7 years. I just pumped out about 800 pounds worth of water with a hand-pump and took everything out of the cabin. The paint in the cabin is peeling and flaking away and I would like to know the best way to strip it all out before I carry out any structural or other work. Sanding? Heat gun? Power/pressure wash? Sand Blasting?
      For the time being I am waiting for the cabin to dry out as there was water hidden and still draining in the space between the keel trunk and port settee. So any help in cabin paint prep would be greatly appreciated.
      Many thanks in advance...Rob
    • Brian or Judi
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2010
        I had a similar problem with my V24. After considering many methods, including those you mentioned, I wound up using a variety of scrapers to remove paint. These removed only the loose paint, and left the surface only partly painted.
        When I re-coated, the finish looked okay, but all the uneven surface underneath showed thru.
        Sandblasting and pressure washing create too many of their own problems in an enclosed space.
        Some people are painting the inside of the boat with flat paints rather than gloss. These will diminish the uneven appearance left by partial scraping. Good luck with your project.
        Brian