Wood for Keel Board Replacement

  • Brandon
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
      Hello again everyone.

      Well I have my new keel winch and cable, now I'm just trying to determine what type of wood to use to replace the old keel winch board (the wood that goes across the entry into the cabin). Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

      I've read a lot of people saying to just use treated wood from the lumber store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.). I wasn't sure if I should go that route or try buying some mahogany or similar type hardwood. Any suggestions would be great.

      Thanks,
      Brandon
    • Peter Merritt

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
          Mine has an aluminum channel, about 2" x 4"
          Works great
        • Brandon
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
            Could you post a picture of it? It sounds interesting just curious how it looks. Sounds easier than having to deal with wood. :P

            --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Brian or Judi" <bandj@...> wrote:

            > Mine has an aluminum channel, about 2" x 4"
            > Works great

          • Brandon
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
              Thanks Peter.

              I did end up using exterior 1/4" pine for the cabin trim, stained and varnished so I don't think it will be a problem. Outside the boat however I was hesitant to use anything like that. Locally it seems my best options are joining 1" white oak or African mahogany (which is my thought so far). Someone also mentioned using aluminum channel, which sounds appealing.

              --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Merritt" <pmerritt@...> wrote:

              > Treated pine has no place on a boat in my opinion, I dont care how cheap you
              > are. Any hard wood would do. I used Kumru only becouse I had some on hand.
              > Teak might be to pricy. Oak would be fine just won't last as long. If you
              > don't want to spend much or any, find a hard wood pallet and make it from
              > that. You may have to plane the wood down and join a couple peaces together
              > but you will be further ahead then using a treated 2x4. Stay away from
              > lowes when buying wood for a boat.
              > _____

            • Brian or Judi
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                Yes, I'll send a photo soon
                Brian
                Could you post a picture of it? It sounds interesting just curious how it looks. Sounds easier than having to deal with wood. :P

                --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Brian or Judi" <bandj@...> wrote:

                > Mine has an aluminum channel, about 2" x 4"
                > Works great

              • Tim Parks
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                  White Oak was the traditional choice for making frames on the wooden boats of the past.  White Oak will last almost forever.  Make sure it is Whte Oak and not Red Oak.  For longevity, Whit Oak will outlast the Mahogany.

                  I did end up using exterior 1/4" pine for the cabin trim, stained and varnished so I don't think it will be a problem. Outside the boat however I was hesitant to use anything like that. Locally it seems my best options are joining 1" white oak or African mahogany (which is my thought so far). Someone also mentioned using aluminum channel, which sounds appealing.

                  --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Merritt" <pmerritt@...> wrote:

                  > Treated pine has no place on a boat in my opinion, I dont care how cheap you
                  > are. Any hard wood would do. I used Kumru only becouse I had some on hand.
                  > Teak might be to pricy. Oak would be fine just won't last as long. If you
                  > don't want to spend much or any, find a hard wood pallet and make it from
                  > that. You may have to plane the wood down and join a couple peaces together
                  > but you will be further ahead then using a treated 2x4. Stay away from
                  > lowes when buying wood for a boat.
                  > _____

                • Brian or Judi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                    Have a look at my album under chonebone in this Group. There's a photo called Overhead view, and another called Junky Cockpit. In both, you can see the aluminum cross member. Someone did a nice job of fitting the ends to the seats in the cockpit by removing the vertical channel parts along a smooth curve matching the fibreglass. Although the aluminum works fine, I have some issues with its appearance, and so I have carved out a piece of redwood which will surround and completely hide the aluminum, and into that will be inlaid a piece of mahogany . On the mahogany is inlaid the name and port'o call of my boat.
                    Retirement is pretty dang cool
                    I'll send a better photo if these don't help at all.
                    Brian
                  • daniel jones
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                      I'll look into white oak then. That's what I've heard about it also, although the only place around here that has it charges quite a bit. Also, they only sell it in 1" boards so I'd have to deal with gluing them together.
                      Is that fairly simple to do? I've never done that before. I was hoping I could just buy a hunk of wood to throw some stain and varnish on and be done. ha.

                      Thanks for that Tim.

                      White Oak was the traditional choice for making frames on the wooden boats of the past.  White Oak will last almost forever.  Make sure it is Whte Oak and not Red Oak.  For longevity, Whit Oak will outlast the Mahogany.

                      I did end up using exterior 1/4" pine for the cabin trim, stained and varnished so I don't think it will be a problem. Outside the boat however I was hesitant to use anything like that. Locally it seems my best options are joining 1" white oak or African mahogany (which is my thought so far). Someone also mentioned using aluminum channel, which sounds appealing.

                      --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Merritt" <pmerritt@...> wrote:

                      > Treated pine has no place on a boat in my opinion, I dont care how cheap you
                      > are. Any hard wood would do. I used Kumru only becouse I had some on hand.
                      > Teak might be to pricy. Oak would be fine just won't last as long. If you
                      > don't want to spend much or any, find a hard wood pallet and make it from
                      > that. You may have to plane the wood down and join a couple peaces together
                      > but you will be further ahead then using a treated 2x4. Stay away from
                      > lowes when buying wood for a boat.
                      > _____

                    • Tim Parks
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                        Probably the best glue for you then, if your not much of a carpenter, would be "Gorilla" glue.  Buy the waterproof one.  Just set weight (bricks, books, etc) on top of the two pieces that you are bonding together.  Gorilla glue doesn't require a lot of clamping.  Foam will squeeze out of the edges so be ready for a mess as it cures.  Read the directions fully.  You might check into a hardwood specialty store that should stock thicker pieces, sometimes just the exact size and length that you need to save on any glueing.

                        I'll look into white oak then. That's what I've heard about it also, although the only place around here that has it charges quite a bit. Also, they only sell it in 1" boards so I'd have to deal with gluing them together.
                        Is that fairly simple to do? I've never done that before. I was hoping I could just buy a hunk of wood to throw some stain and varnish on and be done. ha.

                        Thanks for that Tim.

                        White Oak was the traditional choice for making frames on the wooden boats of the past.  White Oak will last almost forever.  Make sure it is Whte Oak and not Red Oak.  For longevity, Whit Oak will outlast the Mahogany.

                        I did end up using exterior 1/4" pine for the cabin trim, stained and varnished so I don't think it will be a problem. Outside the boat however I was hesitant to use anything like that. Locally it seems my best options are joining 1" white oak or African mahogany (which is my thought so far). Someone also mentioned using aluminum channel, which sounds appealing.

                        --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Merritt" <pmerritt@...> wrote:

                        > Treated pine has no place on a boat in my opinion, I dont care how cheap you
                        > are. Any hard wood would do. I used Kumru only becouse I had some on hand.
                        > Teak might be to pricy. Oak would be fine just won't last as long. If you
                        > don't want to spend much or any, find a hard wood pallet and make it from
                        > that. You may have to plane the wood down and join a couple peaces together
                        > but you will be further ahead then using a treated 2x4. Stay away from
                        > lowes when buying wood for a boat.
                        > _____

                      • daniel jones
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                          Wow, the boat looks awesome!! Now I have tons of questions. haha.

                          What kind of paint and primer did you use on the interior and exterior? Were you happy with them? Repainting is going to be a job that I will be tackling in the spring and I'm still debating on what route to go. I'm thinking either trying Interlux or Rustoleum's marine paint. I've heard mixed reviews of both, but Interlux doesn't seem to be very durable and it's hard to beat Rustoleum's price. Interior wise I'm thinking about maybe using a quality exterior paint.

                          Your windows look amazing. Is that the original window frame or is it new? Looks new, but I wasn't sure if your old ones just cleaned up nicely.

                          Also, do you know a good place to get the gasket that trims the hatches? I saw Blue Water Yacht sells it for $2/ft, but I was wondering if you have found it any cheaper or a possible alternative since it looks like that is something you may have come across while working on your boat.

                          If I did the aluminum I would probably cover it with wood too, just to get the classic look. Your plan sounds great and the boat looks terrific.

                          Retirement....one day I'll be there. haha

                          Thanks again Brian

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                            Sounds doable then. Actually the hardwood specialty store is the only place around here that I've seen carrying white oak and they only have it in 1" or very large chunks (~4"). I'm going to see if there are any online hardwood stores I may be able to order such a piece from, probably cheaper too.

                            Probably the best glue for you then, if your not much of a carpenter, would be "Gorilla" glue.  Buy the waterproof one.  Just set weight (bricks, books, etc) on top of the two pieces that you are bonding together.  Gorilla glue doesn't require a lot of clamping.  Foam will squeeze out of the edges so be ready for a mess as it cures.  Read the directions fully.  You might check into a hardwood specialty store that should stock thicker pieces, sometimes just the exact size and length that you need to save on any glueing.

                            I'll look into white oak then. That's what I've heard about it also, although the only place around here that has it charges quite a bit. Also, they only sell it in 1" boards so I'd have to deal with gluing them together.
                            Is that fairly simple to do? I've never done that before. I was hoping I could just buy a hunk of wood to throw some stain and varnish on and be done. ha.

                            Thanks for that Tim.

                            White Oak was the traditional choice for making frames on the wooden boats of the past.  White Oak will last almost forever.  Make sure it is Whte Oak and not Red Oak.  For longevity, Whit Oak will outlast the Mahogany.

                            I did end up using exterior 1/4" pine for the cabin trim, stained and varnished so I don't think it will be a problem. Outside the boat however I was hesitant to use anything like that. Locally it seems my best options are joining 1" white oak or African mahogany (which is my thought so far). Someone also mentioned using aluminum channel, which sounds appealing.

                            --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Merritt" <pmerritt@...> wrote:

                            > Treated pine has no place on a boat in my opinion, I dont care how cheap you
                            > are. Any hard wood would do. I used Kumru only becouse I had some on hand.
                            > Teak might be to pricy. Oak would be fine just won't last as long. If you
                            > don't want to spend much or any, find a hard wood pallet and make it from
                            > that. You may have to plane the wood down and join a couple peaces together
                            > but you will be further ahead then using a treated 2x4. Stay away from
                            > lowes when buying wood for a boat.
                            > _____

                          • mike gillis
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 11, 2010
                              If you use Gorilla Glue when it starts foaming let it dry. Don't try to wipe it off. When it dries it will be similar to spray foam and will just scrap off with a putty knife very easily. all so if you are going to stain your board if the glue gets on it it will not take stains so be careful where you get the glue. That stuff does not wash off with water and will turn your fingers black. Lacquer Thinner will cut it off your hand. It is a very good product and I have used it a lot, but it is messy. Another tip is a little goes a long way. Dampen your wood with water and it will soak into the wood you will get a better bond. That stuff WILL foam up. Just follow the instructions on the bottle and you will do fine.
                                I would still run a router around the edges so the corners are not so sharp and the sealer will stay on them better. If you don't the edges will get nicked and scuffed and the whatever you decide to use for sealer will be compromised leaving the raw wood expose to the elements. It is also a safety thing if you bump a knee or slip and hit it. You will see the edge of an oak board is sharp. Keep up the good work. TTYL Mike G.

                              Sounds doable then. Actually the hardwood specialty store is the only place around here that I've seen carrying white oak and they only have it in 1" or very large chunks (~4"). I'm going to see if there are any online hardwood stores I may be able to order such a piece from, probably cheaper too.

                              Probably the best glue for you then, if your not much of a carpenter, would be "Gorilla" glue.  Buy the waterproof one.  Just set weight (bricks, books, etc) on top of the two pieces that you are bonding together.  Gorilla glue doesn't require a lot of clamping.  Foam will squeeze out of the edges so be ready for a mess as it cures.  Read the directions fully.  You might check into a hardwood specialty store that should stock thicker pieces, sometimes just the exact size and length that you need to save on any glueing.

                              I'll look into white oak then. That's what I've heard about it also, although the only place around here that has it charges quite a bit. Also, they only sell it in 1" boards so I'd have to deal with gluing them together.
                              Is that fairly simple to do? I've never done that before. I was hoping I could just buy a hunk of wood to throw some stain and varnish on and be done. ha.

                              Thanks for that Tim.

                              White Oak was the traditional choice for making frames on the wooden boats of the past.  White Oak will last almost forever.  Make sure it is Whte Oak and not Red Oak.  For longevity, Whit Oak will outlast the Mahogany.

                              I did end up using exterior 1/4" pine for the cabin trim, stained and varnished so I don't think it will be a problem. Outside the boat however I was hesitant to use anything like that. Locally it seems my best options are joining 1" white oak or African mahogany (which is my thought so far). Someone also mentioned using aluminum channel, which sounds appealing.

                              --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Merritt" <pmerritt@...> wrote:

                              > Treated pine has no place on a boat in my opinion, I dont care how cheap you
                              > are. Any hard wood would do. I used Kumru only becouse I had some on hand.
                              > Teak might be to pricy. Oak would be fine just won't last as long. If you
                              > don't want to spend much or any, find a hard wood pallet and make it from
                              > that. You may have to plane the wood down and join a couple peaces together
                              > but you will be further ahead then using a treated 2x4. Stay away from
                              > lowes when buying wood for a boat.
                              > _____

                            • daniel jones
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 11, 2010
                                Doesn't sound too bad then. If I go that route I plan on routing out the edges, gluing, and then staining and finishing. I believe I'm going to be able to find a 2" piece of white oak online. So hopefully I can skip that mess.

                                Thanks.