where to put the dang gas tank

  • BrianJ
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
      I was talking with a member named Mike. We were discussing trying to find a good way/place to store the gas tank while underway, and during engine operation.
      My big ol red tank sits up on the cockpit bench, looking ugly, taking up room, and stinking. I've seen where some V24s have a notch cut in the aft hatch, and the gas line comes out to feed the outboard. Presumably, the tank was kept under the hatch with all the other junk.
      This seems like a problem in a few ways. Gas fumes in the cabin, gas stink in the cabin, and fuel line fraying where it passes thru the hatch.
      Has anyone come up with a better location for the fuel tank than either of these alternatives. Thanks
      Brian
    • fuller630
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2010
        Mine has a through hull fuel disconnect by the motor but I don't like that unless the tank area is sealed off from the inside. I would also suggest a vent in the transom for the compartment if sealed. AND a friend bought a new stink boat that for 3 years would get a clogged carb after running a while. The factory forgot to put a loop in the vent line. So with every sharp turn, water would slosh into the fuel tank.

        --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "BrianJ" <bandj@...> wrote:

        > I was talking with a member named Mike. We were discussing trying to find a good way/place to store the gas tank while underway, and during engine operation.
        > My big ol red tank sits up on the cockpit bench, looking ugly, taking up room, and stinking. I've seen where some V24s have a notch cut in the aft hatch, and the gas line comes out to feed the outboard. Presumably, the tank was kept under the hatch with all the other junk.
        > This seems like a problem in a few ways. Gas fumes in the cabin, gas stink in the cabin, and fuel line fraying where it passes thru the hatch.
        > Has anyone come up with a better location for the fuel tank than either of these alternatives. Thanks
        > Brian

      • mike gillis
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2010
          My idea is to put an air tight fuel tank under the deck. I have found a SS cylinder that is rated for 100 psi. I just have to get 2 small SS tubes welded on it for a vent and fuel line. The cylinder holds a little over 3 gal. I will run a vent line out through the hull and a fuel line through the hull. The fuel line will be short and have the squeeze bulb on the outside to make it easier to prime with some type of quick connect fittings which I have been shopping for. That should keep the gas fumes out of the cockpit or at least that is my theory. If any one has a good idea what type of quick connect fittings I should use that would be great, or if I am spinning my wheels before I go and drill holes in my boat for the fuel and vent I would appreciate it. Thanks Mike G.