More on the gel coat

  • fuller630
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2009
      It dawned on me that I am making a perfect get coat on a mold from the first glass sailboat mold. Not a good idea. There were a lot of highs and lows in the surface. If I stopped now, I would have to call the boat "spot" for all the sand throughs showing. Actually, I'm almost ready for the final flow coat. Three coats and some spots that I am still building up with extra coats.
      My second gallon came out the wrong color but it is ok for filling the touch up spot. I was overconfident after tinting the first coat. AND US composites sends the gel not in paint cans but screw top cans. So I bought a can of mismatched latex paint at the hardware store for $5 and rinsed/cleaned it thoroughly to pour the gel coat into.
      time to get back to wetsanding the seats inside.