Keel Questions

  • chonebone
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 14 12:02 PM
      Hello
      I finally got the keel out of hull #844, and I intend to put it in hull # 742(742 has a homemade keel by a former owner, and I don't think it has the correct weight)
      The 844 keel has an iron top part about 5" wide and one inch thick. The parts of the keel that are normally hidden in the well have delamination of the glass away from the iron. What is forward of the iron piece? It appears to be solid fiberglass about an inch thick??
      How is the glass meant to stay bonded to the iron?
      How does the iron attach to the lead bulb at the bottom?
      I don't want to take it apart any more than necessary; just clean and re-glass the iron part, and also re-glass some perimeter cracks. But it would be nice to know what's under the glass.
      Thanks in advance. Also, many parts of 844 are now available, such as mast, boom, cockpit slider, hatch covers, engine mount, bow pulpit.
      Brian
    • bjslife
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 14 6:54 PM
        I have a drawing from venture that i got with my boat and it has all the specs for the keel. I will try to get a copy or picture off to you soon.
      • fuller630
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 15 5:29 AM
          I don't know about keel but the original rudder on mine had a one inch leading edge of solid resin. I'm guessing it was to prevent water penetration from minor bumps cracking the glass.

          I have played with fiberglass over the years. I think if you make a mix that is light on the catalyst and let it work it's way inside till it stops disappearing and then clamp the two side together with 2x2s and big c clamps, you would get good penetration. you are going to have to saturate the rust that is in there also. Then use heat lamps or set it in the sun to set up. You might want to drill holes in the sides to speed up saturating the interior. Then when one side is saturated, put masking tape over the holes and do the same to the other side.
        • chonebone
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 15 8:07 AM
            --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "bjslife" <bjslife@...> wrote:

            > I have a drawing from venture that i got with my boat and it has all the specs for the keel. I will try to get a copy or picture off to you soon.
            >Thanks very much for the help
            Brian
          • bjslife
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 15 10:19 AM
              Hello i took a picture of the keel drawing from macgregor and put it in my boat, Keelin Time, Hope it helps and i can get a closer pic if needed.

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 15 2:19 PM
                --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, bjslife <bjslife@...> wrote:

                > Hello i took a picture of the keel drawing from macgregor and put it in my boat, Keelin Time, Hope it helps and i can get a closer pic if needed.

                Please let me know
                Thanks,
                Brian>

                > --- In Venture24@yahoogrou ps.com, "bjslife" <bjslife@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > I have a drawing from venture that i got with my boat and it has all the specs for the keel. I will try to get a copy or picture off to you soon.
                > >Thanks very much for the help
                > Brian

              • fuller630
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 16 9:42 AM
                  The "Over Keel" link starting with week 13 has photos of how he repaired his keel.

                  http://www.mjs.mjsco.com/

                  I also have Piant Shop Pro and can enlarge the original Venture pages if they are posted in the photo section.
                • bjslife
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 16 9:47 AM
                    Sorry but that was the only page i got when i bought my boat, wish i could find more.
                  • chonebone
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 16 10:59 AM
                      --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "fuller630" <pianotuner5293@...> wrote:

                      > The "Over Keel" link starting with week 13 has photos of how he repaired his keel.
                      >
                      > http://www.mjs.mjsco.com/
                      >

                      > I also have Piant Shop Pro and can enlarge the original Venture pages if they are posted in the photo section.

                      Check the Keelin Time photo folder. There's a nice shot that could use some enlarging. Thanks for your help. And thanks for the Over Keel link. What an energetic fellow!
                    • fuller630
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 16 11:04 AM
                        What an energetic fellow!

                        AND he sold the boat last year for peanuts! Of course I think he was college age.

                        Bill Reichert

                        St. Louis
                        V24 #636
                      • fuller630
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 16 5:24 PM

                          > Check the Keelin Time photo folder. There's a nice shot that could use some enlarging. Thanks for your help. And thanks for the Over Keel link. What an energetic fellow!

                          Whoops! I just checked the Keelin Time keel shot. If you click "original" below the pic, it is HUGE! I didn't notice that first time.
                        • chonebone
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 16 8:17 PM
                            --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "fuller630" <pianotuner5293@...> wrote:

                            > > Check the Keelin Time photo folder. There's a nice shot that could use some enlarging. Thanks for your help. And thanks for the Over Keel link. What an energetic fellow!
                            > >

                            > Whoops! I just checked the Keelin Time keel shot. If you click "original" below the pic, it is HUGE! I didn't notice that first time.
                            >I'm sorry, but I looked all over under the Keelin Time keel photo, and I couldn't find any link to "original"
                            Could you please guide me to the right spot?
                            Thanks,
                            Brian
                          • bjslife
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 16 9:40 PM
                              Click on the Keelin Time photo album then click on keel pic then right above the picture on the left it gives you view options medium,large,original.
                            • chonebone
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 17 7:09 AM
                                --- In Venture24@yahoogroups.com, "bjslife" <bjslife@...> wrote:

                                > Click on the Keelin Time photo album then click on keel pic then right above the picture on the left it gives you view options medium,large,original.
                                >Okay-thanks, I got it
                                I was hoping there'd be some mention on the drawing of what the material is on the keel, besides the steel bar and the lead.
                                But I don't see any mention of the rest of the materials.
                                Brian