Joys of Veganism - 2 Interviews

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2013
      A forwarded message:

      As we return from our holidays, I have the pleasure of sharing National Public Radio's holiday gift to us all, a two part segment that aired on December 27 and 28 on NPR's "Morning Edition"-- all about the joys of veganism.

      The first interview is with author Kathy Freston and is titled "Going Vegan Doesn't Mean Missing Out."
      You can listen to it (or read the transcript) at
      http://tinyurl.com/crjluqs and I recommend you do. Kathy is a warm and inviting advocate for veganism. She makes it clear that plant based diets are fantastically healthful and good for the environment but shares that she went vegan after seeing "what was happening to animals as they became food." Kathy's new book is called "Lean," which she most certainly is. The double-entendre title is based on her suggestion that people "lean into veganism" making changes gradually that are more likely to stick and become part of one's lifestyle.

      The second interview is with "The Inspired Vegan" cookbook author, vegan soul food chef Bryant Terry. You'll find it on line at http://tinyurl.com/bj4cbhp

      We learn that Bryant is a chef who "also fights for access to fresh seasonal food in low income African American neighborhoods." He says that the focus is too often on what is not being eaten whereas he likes to emphasize all the wonderful foods such as fresh vegetables and legumes that have traditionally been part of soul food diets -- collard greens, yams, black-eyed peas. He gives them healthful, delicious twists.

      The interview isn't perfect -- it includes an unfortunate segment about his wife's stray from plant-based eating during her pregnancy and a tacit suggestion that plant-based diets might not be good for pregnant women or young children. That just isn't true. But overall the segment is definitely a boon as listeners surely found their mouths watering as they listened to Bryant's descriptions of his plant-based recipes and got a whole new impression of what it might mean to be vegan.